Cat nutrition confussion.. Wet & Dry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Cat nutrition confussion.. Wet & Dry

Right so I've been reading up on here and other sites about the benefits of feeding wet food.

I've always thought dry was best and that's because that's all I have ever been told! Oh how I was wrong..

I can't afford to feed just wet and I also think that it's good to feed dry too for the crunch and change etc (I maybe wrong on that one) so.. I was thinking feeding 2 meals of dry and 1 of wet.

I'm in the UK so I don't know if you can get these foods in the States but I am planning on feeding either Burns or Meowing Heads. I have no idea what other dry foods are acceptable.

Wet food I was thinking Hilife.. again.. what other wet foods are good and reasonably priced in the UK?

Anyways.. Lets just say for my 7kg cat who should be 6kg I normally feed about 60grams of dry a day. 20g in the morning, 20 at dinner and 20 before bed (I'm following the guidelines on the back with a bit of tweeking to suit Tinker)

I want to feed dry, dry and then 1 pouch of wet. What do I reduce his dry food too?!!

1 pouch is about 100g and he was to have solely that he would need 4-5 pouches a day.

So like.. 15g, 15g, 100g of wet?

HELP!
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Can you go with a cheaper wet food?

Last edited by marie73; 11-19-2012 at 12:45 AM.
BigDaveyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Feeding wet isn't necessarily more expensive.

My cats get a mixture of wet, dry, home cooked and raw - they cope well with the mix and basically thrive on it.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat

I could go to a cheaper wet food but cant find any that contain more meat. Most cheaper ones are only 4% of say chicken and the rest is god knows what. And the real.cheap stuff stinks!

I worked out for my 3 cats on 1 type of dried food works out at just over 1 a day. On the hilife wet it would be about 3 a day.. That mounts up over a month.

What raw do you feed? I give raw chicken as a treat and I tried a raw chicken wing once for Tinker and he was scared of it! He wouldnt go through the doorway as his bowl was near there with the wing in it..
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkabounce View Post
IHe wouldnt go through the doorway as his bowl was near there with the wing in it..
Pardon me, but the moment I read this sentence, I can't stop laughing. No wonder Tinker was afraid.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Pardon me, but the moment I read this sentence, I can't stop laughing. No wonder Tinker was afraid.
My friends cats chow them done and love them! Tinker started licking it and when it moved it scared him.

So anyone have any ideas about how much I should reduce the dry by? I'm thinking about 20g
Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

dry food is good for keeping their teeth clean what e do is feed him his wet food with a little bowl of dry so he can munch on that between meals

we tried feeding dexter some coshida cat food and he wouldn't touch it at all and thats on the cheap end of the cat food market, all depends on your cat.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
dry food is good for keeping their teeth clean
Dry food really doesn't help teeth. For the most part cat will swallow the kibbles whole. If they do chew, the dry food really doesn't have the abrasive capability to scrap tartar/plaque off the teeth. Think of it this way...does eating biscotti clean your teeth? In reality it gunks up and sticks in the indentations between teeth.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

we get Go cat and thats what it said it really is tough gritty stuff Ah I don't know.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, the dry foods try to perpetuate the myth. If I recall, Go Cat is made by Purina...who also tries to say that their food is good for cats when the ingredients are far from good quality or an appropriate diet for an obligate carnivore.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement