How should I properly treat Fleas - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I recommend Advantage II or Frontline. I get one or the other depending on the sales taking place (I apply occassionally for my cat). When we used it on dogs in the past, we'd find dead fleas and ticks within 12 hours in their bed.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

There is a product your vet can give you that immediately kills all fleas on the cat. Sorry, I forgot the name of the product. It goes in the kitty's blood and if any fleas try to bite her after she has taken it, they die. It only lasts for about 24 hours, so it is important that the next day you apply one of the meds already mentioned or Revolution (what I use).
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
I use Advantage II. Ive had better luck with it then Frontline. Recently Ive also been using Revolution on my kitten. Its for fleas and it gets rid of worms if they have them. In my area the Revolution is slightly cheaper too.
Revolution is amazing, kills ear mites too. Safe for kittens, and both Frontline Plus and Advantage II failed for me (maybe because that is what has always been used on my 17 year old cat). I also found that Revolution didn't create any side effects unlike the others. After about 24 hours, start flea combing and rinse the comb in dawn dish soap and water between each swipe. Fleas will be gone in no time

Steer clear of flea collars, powders, etc. They are super toxic! My cat throw up after an hour with a collar and I had to bathe her to get it off. I nearly had a heart attack thinking she might die from something so stupid
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

I also recommend Revolution.Frontline has never worked for me.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene View Post
There is a product your vet can give you that immediately kills all fleas on the cat. Sorry, I forgot the name of the product. It goes in the kitty's blood and if any fleas try to bite her after she has taken it, they die. It only lasts for about 24 hours, so it is important that the next day you apply one of the meds already mentioned or Revolution (what I use).
You are referring to Capstar.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Kitten

i am curious to know if there are any herbal remedies that will work for cats? i use lavender oil diluted in a carrier on the pads and behind the ears and tail of my dog to keep fleas off but i'm not sure that would work for my cats
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

When my kittens were small and I suspected they had fleas I began by using the Hartz, like you did. I later found out that it doesn't work and it's really bad for the kitties. I ended up going to the vet where they provided a professional-grade flea treatment. All you have to do is call and tell them how many cats you're treating and how old the cat(cats) are. It is a bit pricey but it works and you won't have to waste anymore time trying crap that doesn't work from Walmart, like I did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread