New Cat Mom- Need Advice on Litter and Food - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat

#by changing the litter I meant scooping the litter sorry for my mistake on wording it. #But I only change the litter perce once a week. I'm sorry if I said it wrong. But yes just scoop it up once a day it will help tons with the order.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

Default From OP- Is this a good brand

Nuro Natural Cat Food

• <LI _extended="true">Ideal Nutrient Balance: Protein, Fat, Carbs <LI _extended="true">Formulated for healthy skin and coat <LI _extended="true">Recommended by veterinarians <LI _extended="true">Helps maintain ideal body weight
  • For indoor adult cats 1-6 years of age

Whitefish & Tuna Chicken Broth, Cod, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Tuna, Beef Liver, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Egg Product, Oat Fiber, Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Salmon Meal, Natural Flavors, Salt, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Carbonate, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Chicory Pulp, Choline Chloride, L-Carnitine, Beta Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Biotin.
Chicken & Giblets Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Giblets, Beef Liver, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Egg Product, Oat Fiber, Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Natural Flavors, Salt, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Sodium Carbonate, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Chicory Pulp, Choline Chloride, L-Carnitine, Beta Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Biotin.
Turkey & Liver Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Beef Liver, Wheat Gluten, Starch, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Oat Fiber, Herring Meal, Egg Product, Flax Seed, Natural Flavors, Salt, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Guar Gum, Brewers Dried Yeast, Sodium Carbonate, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Zinc Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Chicory Pulp, Choline Chloride, L-Carnitine, Beta Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Biotin.
Chicken & Rice: Chicken, Chicken Broth, Chicken Liver, Ground Rice, Herring Meal, Oat Fiber, Cod, Lamb, Flax Seed, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Guar Gum, Sunflower Oil, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Carrageenan, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Copper Proteinate, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Niacin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (Min.) 9.0%, Crude Fat (Min.) 4.0%, Crude Fiber (Max.) 2.0%, Moisture (Max.) 80.0%, Ash (Max.) 2.5% Made in the USA.
3 oz cans.
Kattysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

If you want a GREAT food for your money I would buy Taste of the Wild. After hours of my online sitting and comparing quality and price per pound as far as Im concerned you cant beat it and it really is a high quality food and grain free. You wont find it at Petco or Petsmart. But usually smaller local pet stores carry it. Or if you have Orschelns Farm and Home in your area they usually carry it. Its only 28.99 for a 15 pound bag! If you cant find it near you I order all my food from Chewy.com. Its tax free and flat rate shipping of only 4.95 unless you spend over 49 dollars then its free. I usually spend over that anyway because I get my cans and Honest Kitchen Prowl there. (I still feed some Taste of the Wild in between meals because I have a growing kitten) Ordering from their site is worth it for me because I dont take a trip to the store or pay sales tax and usually their prices are a dollar or two cheaper than in store. Here is Taste of the Wild from Chewy.com. They have dry and canned formulas. If your wanting to maybe do a combo of dry maybe in the morning and then canned at night I would recommend Honest Kitchen Prowl over cans. Its super budget friendly and extremely healthy for your cat. Its a dehydrated raw food that comes in a powder form. You add water mix it and its kind of like an oatmeal. My cats love it and its a cr*p ton cheaper than buying the equivalent of high quality cans. A 4lb box (only 41.99) actually equals 12 pounds of food and if you were strictly feeding Honest Kitchen it would last 64 days but obviously if you were doing half dry half Honest Kitchen it would last a lot longer. Here is their website where you can read more about it: Honest Kitchen Prowl. I get this from Chewy.com as well. As far as foods from Petco that are decent here is a list but like I said all of these are way more expensive than Taste of the Wild and I would put it even above these foods as far as quality goes.

Natures Variety Instinct
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Wellness CORE
Innova Prime Grain Free
Halo (the grain free one)
Solid Gold Indigo Moon
Before Grain

Example from Chewy.com a only 12 pound bag of Wellness Core is 37.99. and I think in Petco its 40 something. So as you can see Taste of the Wild is way cheaper but your not sacrificing quality.

For your litter box. I use Tidy Cats Powerblend and I have an Air Purifier sitting on top of my box. Holmes Air Purifier. That thing was a gift from heaven when I used to live in my tiny apartment. Its only a 32 dollar fix too and you replace the filter about every 4 months and they run about 15 dollars. They even have the replacement filters that are made specifically for pet odors. (yellow ones) With litter Tidy Cats Powerblend works good for me and its not real expensive. Ive used Arm and Hammer before but I think it has quite a lot more dust than Tidy cats. (I put my money into their food not litter) I scoop usually every few days.

The Nutro Natural cat food you posted is... um Ok I guess but its not Grain Free and its no where close to the quality of Taste of the Wild and its still more expensive than it. Hope I didnt bore you with my ridiculously long post.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by Zilla; 11-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

It is worth mentioning that you may want also take into consideration who is manufacturing the food. Diamond manufactures Taste of the Wild and some of the other brands mentioned. They have had a lot of recalls due to salmonella contamination.

Edit: Looks like only Taste of the Wild and Solid Gold are manufactured by Diamond now. There are more but they haven't been mentioned. Wellness and Felidae cut ties with them.

Last edited by scottd; 11-19-2012 at 05:50 PM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
It is worth mentioning that you may want also take into consideration who is manufacturing the food. Diamond manufactures Taste of the Wild and some of the other brands mentioned. They have had a lot of recalls due to salmonella contamination.
They may have but what company hasnt been recalled? Its really just a matter of staying on top of it and paying attention to when a recall does come out. Even with the other good brands like Evo. Proctor and Gamble bought them out and they are the ones who produce cr*p like iams. No brand is really safe. Im not really against Diamond anyway. When I was younger I remember I had a cat with dermatitis real bad and nothing would cure him. My father started feeding him Diamond like we fed our dogs and he magically started growing his hair back. Never had a problem after that!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by Zilla; 11-19-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cool Cat

P&G didn't change operations at Innova (the company behind EVO). They appear to be leaving it alone. They wanted premium brands and they bought them. It would be stupid to ruin them.

I spent quite a bit of time deciding on which dry food to feed my cat. It's made in a Canadian facility that has never had a recall. The last recall the brand had was in 2003 and it appears to be at fault of the Merrick plant where it was made. Since then, they have ceased using plants in the US.

Diamond has had multiple recalls and consistent FDA violations. That's why I won't feed it.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
P&G didn't change operations at Innova (the company behind EVO). They appear to be leaving it alone. They wanted premium brands and they bought them. It would be stupid to ruin them.

I spent quite a bit of time deciding on which dry food to feed my cat. It's made in a Canadian facility that has never had a recall. The last recall the brand had was in 2003 and it appears to be at fault of the Merrick plant where it was made. Since then, they have ceased using plants in the US.

Diamond has had multiple recalls and consistent FDA violations. That's why I won't feed it.
Well it just boils down to how much money you have to spend and whether you pay attention to recalls in your area. Ive personally never been affected by a recall so I dont have any beef with Diamond or Taste of the Wild. They always have recalls posted on their websites and others as well. So its just a matter of you looking once in a while.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cat

^ Personally, I've stuck by Wellness because they do recalls when they don't really have to. For example, last month they recalled some of their dry dog food because the moisture content wasn't where it should be. I don't know a lot of companies that would do that. Of course, Wellness costs more than other brands but Tucker adores it.

Anyway, back to what the original poster asked about food: I read somewhere that any canned diet, even if it contains by-products, is better than a diet that isn't canned. I don't know what your price range is but at Petco you can get Soulistic for a dollar a can. Not a bad price for a higher quality food. Really, it's going to be about trial and error. Every cat is different and they're going to prefer some flavors/brands over others. Until you figure out what your cat likes, it's best to get individual cans. I feed my cats dry food in the morning and wet food at night. I want to try to transition them to a raw diet (Zilla here recommended Honest Kitchen to me before) but for now that's what they eat. Also, I think you save more money on higher quality foods in the long run. For example, while we were moving, our cats ate Meow Mix and we went through a five pound bag in two weeks. It takes them much longer to go through a bag of Wellness. Their latest bag has lasted for almost two months (approx 12 pound bag).

Last edited by tigre86; 11-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.
tigre86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement