Rant About Our Vet Visit Today... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Rant About Our Vet Visit Today...

So let me start out with my husband is military so naturally we live next to a base. We adopted our kitten Skeeter from the vet facility there about 3 weeks ago. He is now 12 weeks old today. They told us when we picked him up that he still had kitten shots to do so whatever that appointment for him to come back was today. They asked me to bring in a stool sample so I did. It wasnt loose or anything just a little soft. She proceeded to ask me what I fed him and I said Honest Kitchen Prowl, Natures Variety Cans and Soulistic Cans. She then told me I should feed Iams or Science Diet Dry because "Its better for kittens because they will have firm stools" And then she said "Wet is better for the older cats but its bad for the younger ones because it causes tarter" I almost laughed when she gave me that line but I kept it in... I just nodded and said OK... thinking to myself yea if you only cared to know the truth lady

AND it doesnt end there! She gave Skeeter a shot between his shoulders and then one near his rear end. Now the one near his rear he did not like because obviously it hurt. She stuck him FIVE TIMES before she actually finished. Her tech even tried once and she let go of the syringe because Skeeter started squirming and legs flailing around it. (Needle still stuck in him by the way). I almost screamed! Someone tell me if thats normal because last time I checked I dont think you were supposed to let go of a syringe with cat legs flailing around it in fear of it breaking or something! I expected more from a military vet facility and I think I got the worst.... A captain (very high rank vet) called him "oh its the seal point kitten we used to have" Im thinking No crazy lady its called LYNX point. And its not real hard to tell the difference! They then tell me that he still is due for his last set of shots in another 3 weeks. To my knowledge he had 1 set before we got him. 1 today which I know included rabies. And hes supposedly due for another like I said in 3 weeks. What the heck are they giving him so many times?? Is it normal? Because it doesnt seem like it...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 11-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Kitten get 3 sets of vaccinations, usually starting at 6 weeks. However, if there is any question about the kittens's age, some vets prefer to wait until they are a bit older. The idea being that vaccines don't work if the kittens are too young.

It is not normal to leave the syringe in place, when the ktten starts flailing around, however, the tech may have been afraid that the flailing would cause the needle to bend or break. In flailing around, the needle/syringe will often fall out of the skin - not a big deal in that case.

Love the pictures.
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Kittens normally get two sets of the vaccines over here - thankfully, rabies isn't part of the picture.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I do 2 doses of FVRCP (8 and 12 weeks) and 1 dose of PureVax Rabies (only non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine on the market, adjuvanted vaccines are believed to increase risk of VAS) at 12 weeks. Some vets will do up to 4 doses of FVRCP. I think it's pointless and stupid to keep injecting them. I'm sure it's just a form of revenue.

There are actually specific places where vaccines are suggested to be administered. Rabies in the right rear leg below the knee. FVRCP (without FeLV) in the right front leg below the elbow joint. FeLV (or FVRCP with FeLV) in the left rear leg below the knee. These locations are chosen because limbs aren't that difficult to remove in the event a vaccine associated sarcoma (VAS) forms. Most vets would say it's not treatable if it forms on the neck for example.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

well I would say it could be a form of revenue but it came along with his adoption package. I didn't pay yesterday and I don't pay anything the last time either. They even gave me a dose of revolution that they didn't charge me for. And they pay for his microchip. Overall it was a good deal but the vet is least desirable.... oh well he only cost 92 dollars. Neutered, shots, dose of revolution, and microchip that they pay the yearly fee for. I thought that was pretty reasonable ....

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

With such an uneducated vet I would not go back to her no matter the price. My goodness I would have absolutely flipped out with the injection nightmare you witnessed. Poor kitty. Start a "kitty fund" for future medical care so at least you would have a choice of better vets. And thank your husband for his service!
orrymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Well should I though because they say he still needs another set of shots?? After that I definitely won't be going back...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement