How to know if there is tick and flea infestation? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default How to know if there is tick and flea infestation?

Sorry, I know it sound stupid. How do I know kitty have tick and flea? I googled, and it says to look out for black speck, but I don't see any on ET. But I noticed he's been scratching his chin/face/ear and neck quite often. Lately, I seemed to see some funny insect that I have never seen before. Should I be able to see these tick and flea crawling all over kitty?

Once, about 2wks ago, ET was rubbing me and something fall off from him that look beigy colored. By the time I stood down to take a closer look, it had disappeared. 2nd time was I found a black round insect on a cushion. Picked it up and wanted to throw out the window, but before I could reach the window, it dropped off from my finger and can't be found anywhere. The 3rd time was yesterday, the same black colored insect fall off from don't know where while I was cleaning ET's basket. I managed to pick them up and squeeze hard till its flat, then dump in into the waste paper basket.

I'm sure getting nervous about any kind of infestation cos I do feed the strays, I'm not sure if I am bringing any of these nasty tick and flea home, though I do use repellent on myself.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just to add, I did try to check ET's fur for any insect by spreading out the fur, but don't seem to find anything. Must I go get a flea comb or something like that? Is that the only way to find flea on him.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

You can put him on a white cloth or light countertop, and rub his fur like you would rub your head to shampoo your hair. If you see a bunch of black flecks, then that is flea dirt.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
You can put him on a white cloth or light countertop, and rub his fur like you would rub your head to shampoo your hair. If you see a bunch of black flecks, then that is flea dirt.
Dry white cloth or damp? Is rubbing just the surface good enough? Thx

By the way, can someone help me check if this is a safe repellent http://www.petronize.com.sg/products...l-(500ml).html Neem oil is supposed to be natural. Planning to use it on kitty and also on myself when I go feeding the stray. Look like the repellent I have been using isn't working if what I saw in the house is really tick and flea.

Last edited by snowy; 11-19-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Dry cloth. A white cloth is used just so you can easily see if any dark flecks fall off.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I went searching for white cloth after seeing your post. Couldn't find any, so used a white paper towel. Rubbed it all over his body, didn't see dark flecks, so he's safe?

Oh, ok, I will still try again with a white cloth if I can find one.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nan
Cool Cat

Paper towels would be ok. He should be standing on the towels - don't rub him with them.

If you have a white sink, that could be used too. Once I noticed what looked like little blood drops in my bathroom sink after my cat had been drinking from the faucet. She had fleas. When wet, the flea dirt looks red.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
Paper towels would be ok. He should be standing on the towels - don't rub him with them.

If you have a white sink, that could be used too. Once I noticed what looked like little blood drops in my bathroom sink after my cat had been drinking from the faucet. She had fleas. When wet, the flea dirt looks red.
Oh...so I got it wrong. Before reading this, I went in search again, then saw my sticky lint roller, its white, so rolled it all over ET. Saw something like 6 black dots on the roller. Should I be seeing more? or is 6 black dots enough to tell its flea dirt?

Anyway, I'll redo again, let him stand on something white, then rub him with my hand. Haiyo, really getting abit uptight, lol... I won't be able to get him to the bathroom sink, he is a nervous freak. Getting him on the weight scale with me carrying, he struggled like anything. I just don't understand, its not like it will kill him by me standing on the scale carrying him.

Last edited by snowy; 11-19-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

6 with a lint roller is plenty (how didn't it get stuck in his hair?).. but the more flea dirt, the worse the infestation.

You should go to a pet shop, or your vet, and buy Feline Frontline. That should fix your flea problem. (: it comes in packs of 3. You use one, and it kills all the fleas on your cat, and keeps more from coming back for a month.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanescent View Post
6 with a lint roller is plenty (how didn't it get stuck in his hair?).. but the more flea dirt, the worse the infestation.

You should go to a pet shop, or your vet, and buy Feline Frontline. That should fix your flea problem. (: it comes in packs of 3. You use one, and it kills all the fleas on your cat, and keeps more from coming back for a month.
Oh no! 6 small dots is enough for me to take immediate action ah...okie, will go buy Frontline quick. Thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement