Hey! I am new and have questions! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Hey! I am new and have questions!

Hey guys!
I am brand newsies, and I am 26 female cat owner in Portland!
BACK STORY:
My brood consists of two sibling cats who I acquired in June. Their mommy left them in somebody's garage and I took the entire litter (which was 3 cats)
They were very dehydrated and the people told me they were bottle feeding. I took them and they were TINY, so I tried to bottle feed but my male Nigs was just hungry and crying non-stop. So I gave him some milk in a bowl and he was all about it, he would drink so much. I then gave him wet food, which he ate. He was older than I thought. He and his sister Cous both grew very fast. They got lice and I treated them and Cous came with an eye infection. I treated that also. Their third sibling Tripod I took to my friend who cares for special kitties because he was missing a front leg from a birth defect and was more care than I was willing to do. He was EXTREMELY dehydrated and needed injections. It was just above my level.
My two cats grew and we moved to Portland and decided it was time for another kitty. So we purchased PF Chang from a lady on craigslist who had two litters at her home.

QUESTION: Since we have owned PF she has done nothing but hide under the bed or in her box I set up for her in the closet. She barely eats, she HATES being held and cries. When we first got her she would urinate in our bed. So we took down the ramp to the bed so she couldn't get up until she grew a bit. Then she urinated on our sofa. We have two HUGE litter boxes and we discovered she just couldn't get in them. So we built her ramps and there were no more pooping problems.
She limps on her back legs sometimes, but switches legs like she can't decide how she would like to limp. She isn't meowing or in pain. We handled all her legs and she was fine with it.
She barely comes out to eat. (the other two come storming out when they hear the lid!) Whats wrong with her? Is it because the other cats are bigger and like to play with her?
Why is she limping and does she need to eat more? She rarely uses the bathroom either...she just lays in her spots, on the bed, under the bed, in her box. She purrs and is affectionate if we pet her. She just wont be held.

CONCLUSION:
Thanks for any help and thanks for hearing me!
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well first of all, do not give a cat milk for drinking. Maybe just a little bit for "taste", but never as a main drinking source. Always give them water. Otherwise, it may end up with a bad diarrhea.

How long do you have that kitten? It's pretty normal for cats to get used to the enviroment. Some get used in a day, some in weeks. However, it's a big problem, that the kitten does not eat. You should definitely go see the vet as soon as possible.
Vet will most likely tell you to feed her milk with honey. Now you can ignore my previous sentence about milk, but you need to give her something with as big nutritional value as possible. You will most likely have to feed her with pippete and even if she doesn't want to. She just has to eat. But definitely go see the vet first and you will see what he will tell you.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

First; I am was given them cat formula, not milk...sorry, I should have been more clear.

Second; I should have mentioned the kitten has been here with us for several months. She eats, but only if the other cats can't get her. (she eats solids at this point, she was finished nursing when we purchased her several months ago)
Every time they see her, my other female Cous comes and plays with her and PF CHang seems to hate it, she hisses and yowls and runs away.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Well, several months is a really long time.
By then, the kitty should adapt.

Definitely have a talk with your vet, I am really sorry, but there's a big possibility you will have to give the kitty somewhere else. But let's not make hasty conclusions. Contact your vet.
Elvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has this kitten been to the vet since you got her? It sounds like she has some medical issues and when cats don't feel well they hide, get defensive and don't eat.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement