Update on Charlie and Rosie - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Update on Charlie and Rosie

We got the lab test results back from NC State (Jody Gookin's lab) and it appears the sample little Charlie so bravely submitted was negative for TF.

So I guess we're back to IBD.

I have been reading about this stuff naturally. It appears that clumping kitty litter may play a role. Naturally, we use this stuff. Vast quantities of it in 3 big containers. Perhaps that's what periodically gives Suzy (the older, non-littermate playpal Coon buddy of C and R) the occasional diarrhea?

All have been on the same diet and we've tried to keep to quality canned food like Weruva and Halo, always trying to avoid grain infused food.

Now of course, the Vet wants us to use Iams' "Low Residue" and there's talk of Prednisone. The Iams' ingredient label is basically corn and other grains, so I'm leery of it. This orgy of grain proteins seems counterproductive when treating IBD from what I've read but it does seem to make the diarrhea slightly better, i.e., more firm, when they're on it. Trouble is, they really don't like it and crave real food, like wet canned food.

I'm leaning towards going to a raw diet. The Vet sells Nature's Variety, so I'm thinking of going to the frozen raw stuff if I can get them to order some in.

Thanks for all the feedback and help we've received thus far. Charlie and Rosie are great little cats and are very affectionate. It hurts us to see them sore all the time. But they are healthy and thriving otherwise. Both are well over 5 lbs now.

Suzy is a terror. Nothing slows her down.

Last edited by NETim; 11-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.
NETim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ah...bummer! Getting an answer...even if it means meds, is a major relief.

Please consider getting another opinion before going the IBD route...there is just so much wrong with the idea that all 3 cats developed IBD at the same time. If you have a vet school within reasonable driving distance, it's absolutely worth getting a consultation done there (and by reasonable, I mean a few hours drive).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Feeding raw is generally a total cure for IBD. I myself have cured 2 cats by going raw. Let me know if you want more info.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement