Wet food questions- Wellness, Merrick - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Wet food questions- Wellness, Merrick

I'd like to start feeding my little ones healthier wet food options and Wellness seems to be a highly recommended brand. Can someone well-versed in cat nutrition tell me the difference between regular Wellness and Wellness CORE?

Today I looked at a few popular pet food sites and Wellness comes in at about $0.19-0.21 cents/ounce and CORE is $0.30-0.35 cents/ounce. Why the big price difference? Is CORE much better? I was also looking at Merrick and Weruva, and those fall in the middle of the Wellness range.

Similarly, thoughts on Merrick classic and before grain? They seem to be closer in price, but the classic flavors have fruits and veggies. I don't imagine cats in the wild are munching on fresh snow peas and Granny Smith apples; should I get both types for variety, or should I stick with BG?
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

CORE has a higher protein content.

As far as the rest of your questions...I suggest you purchase one can each of a good cross section of brands/flavors and then let the kitties choose what they like. You can decide you want to feed BG but they may not eat it. Some folks here get torqued up over fruits and veggies...I'm not one of them as long as it's a high end food. The amount that's in the food is minimal and it certainly won't hurt them.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I agree with the above poster. All of the brands you mentioned are very high quality, however your cat may not be into all of them, so don't go and stock up. I would try one of each brand then go through a few flavours to see which they prefer.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I tried for about 3 months to get my girls to eat ANY high-quality wet food and went through virtually every brand that exists. The one that was most successful was Wellness Core chicken, turkey & chicken liver. They didn't like any of the regular Wellness flavors, they wouldn't touch any of the Merrick BG flavors, and I didn't bother with the other Merricks for the same reason you hesitated to buy them. I think that what they object to in the grain-free foods is that those foods have a lot more bits of bone. They like smooth-textured food.

I hope you have better luck than I did!
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

My cat seems to like all Wellness flavors. Makes choosing food for her pretty easy.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The kitten I'm fostering likes CORE and BG. She's also eating regular grain-free Wellness without complaint.

Maybe it's because she's a kitten but she doesn't seem to be picky.

I don't mind fruit/veggies either as long as the foods are primarily protein. The fiber can't hurt.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Thanks for all the feedback! The Wellness online prices are basically the same as buying Fancy Feast at the supermarket, so I just wanted to be sure that even the cheaper Wellness is better nutrition than Fancy Feast. I want these two to eat a variety of good foods so they don't get picky!

The kittens came to me from the shelter eating Fancy Feast wet and Science Diet dry, but they have been very good about trying new foods. They've been eating CORE kitten and a few of the BGs with no problem, so I picked up a few more flavors to try this week before bulk ordering online for better prices. I hope the kitties don't miss their occasional scoop of pumpkin for fiber since the Merrick has veggies already
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Before Grain and Regular Merrick flavors are both in my rotation. My cats both *LOVE* them. Yeah, the regular has some unneeded stuff but they seem to be good quality with fairly decent ingredients for the price.

I feed the regular flavors mixed with Evo for a little variety and to stretch the evo a bit.

The BG I feed straight.

CF Sig by KrisMowBook, on Flickr
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Go ahead and mix 'em up. The wet food that is, not the kibble. If you feed kibble it's not good to mix and match because digestive upset can occur.

Last edited by marie73; 11-25-2012 at 02:28 AM.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement