Third eyelid showing? Update. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Third eyelid showing

Franky, the stray that I have been feeding for the last 2-3 months, is showing his third eye lids. He has not lost any weight, he is still eating good, but he seems a little sluggish. I am worried about the little guy (he is not a kitten, he is a really big black male cat). I tried to trap him once and failed miserably, now he is afraid of the trap. Any suggestion about getting him into the trap and/or what might be wrong with him. He lets me pet him a little but I can not pick him up to put him in a carrier, he won't let me.
Jetlaya67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The third eyelid showing is a symptom of many things, like a fever is for us. With Cleo, it was parasites from her previous home.

Have you tried putting some really smelly food, like tuna or other fish, in the trap? If he'll let you pet him, could you have a blanket nearby and cover him with it quickly and put him in the carrier? (I've had to do that, too.)

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

If you could handle him, I'd suggest a vet. Since you can't I'd go for tempting food as well.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Are there vets who make house calls in your area?
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat

When we got Oliver he always had his third eyelids out too (we saved him from the streets). We were getting used to it but thought we would bring it up at the vet on his first visit and she de-wormed him. She gave us a dewormer which we gave him 3-4 times for the first month we had him and his eyes cleared right up as the little parasites left his body. His eyes are sparkelly clear now.

Like marie73 mentioned, it could be anything but if he lived outside he probably picked up worms from eating little bugs and mammals.
OliverandCo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I got the live trap and have been leaving out next to his food and water bowl. This time I am taking my time. In a few days I'll try putting the food inside without setting the trap. He is a really pretty, enormous cat. Makes my little Manx look like a miniature. I think he might also be deaf, I tap on the window and he does not react. My husband has tried whistling close to him and nothing. I will try some deworming medicine and see if it helps.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Third eyelid showing? Update.

Hi, thanks to everybody that helped me with Franky. One of you said that one of her kitties had the same thing and deworming worked. I used some on Franky and he is looking a lot better. His eyes are better and he is not as sluggish. He is letting me pet him more and I have started to gently pick him up, first petting him with both hands, then lifting a little, then picking up the front off the ground, etc. he is getting more comfortable with being handled.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Very good news!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Same thing here with Pixie. The first vet said it was from fever. Gave her medication but didn't work. When I took her to hospital, they mentioned it's inflammation. Gave her another medication for that and till today it's not working.

If worms could be the cause...well...one of the vets in hospital asked whether I spotted any worms in my cat's stool and I answered no because I really don't see any. Now I'm worried!

Are there certain worms causing this? Pixie used not to be a stray cat by the way.
Chaajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaajo View Post
Same thing here with Pixie. The first vet said it was from fever. Gave her medication but didn't work. When I took her to hospital, they mentioned it's inflammation. Gave her another medication for that and till today it's not working.

If worms could be the cause...well...one of the vets in hospital asked whether I spotted any worms in my cat's stool and I answered no because I really don't see any. Now I'm worried!

Are there certain worms causing this? Pixie used not to be a stray cat by the way.
I never could see if there were worms in his stool as he is a feral cat. Since I have been unable to trap him yet (I don't think it will be long now) I had to try something before he got worse, thanks to this forum Franky is better. I still need to get him to the vet for neutering, shots, etc. but like I said is coming slowly but surely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement