Electrocuted from biting cord - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default Electrocuted from biting cord

My friend's cat got a serious mouth burn from biting electrical cord. It's bad. Half her lip died and had to be cut off. The vet almost cut off her upper jaw on one side of her face. She's got a hole on one side of her face. Her face is deformed and might have to have a feeding tube. I love this cat. I hope she makes it. I'll be seeing my friend soon. I'm afriad of what i'll see.

If you have a cord biter better to be safe and use cord covers

Kathy
razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Crittercord is popular. It's infused with citrus smell and it's bitter to taste.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think the kindest thing would have been to let her go.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I agree.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Thatís horrible and itís something that I fear all the time although I have never heard of such damage before. My most dearest cat Squirts likes to chew on cords and we have so many of them all throughout the house.

Wires designed to be buried underground have stuff to prevent gophers from chewing on them and itís a wonder why lamps cords donít already have something to keep pets from chewing on them. Itís not only pets but Iíve caught my grandchildren chewing on them as well. I always worried more about the lead in the cords then electrocution, but after hearing this I wonder how often this happens. I donít remember it, but my mother often told me that I once got a shock from chewing on a cord when I was a toddler. I guess I was lucky.

Anyways Iíve never heard of ďCrittercordĒ or cord covers before and Iím going to do some research now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention because I just hooked up about 50 cords for my Christmas Tree display.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny135 View Post
I agree.

Me three. Sometimes we have to think about what's best for them, not what we want. It's our responsibility to be sure their quality of life doesn't suffer.

What kind of cord was it? It's strange it did that much damage unless the cord was frayed.....

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

silly 5 minute edit rule......
What i meant was that electrocution should have enough damage to her heart to cause her to jump back, but the way it sounds she kept gnawing while it continued to burn her. Unless it happened some time ago and the damage was caused by infection i guess...

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
silly 5 minute edit rule......
What i meant was that electrocution should have enough damage to her heart to cause her to jump back, but the way it sounds she kept gnawing while it continued to burn her. Unless it happened some time ago and the damage was caused by infection i guess...
If the cord was actually powering something at the moment and she bit completely through the wire, the electrical current would have burned her because there would have been a huge spark. If the cord were simply plugged in with voltage and no current flowing, then her own resistance would have just caused a small shock and not all that damage.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends cat. I agree about possibly having chosen to let the cat go in this situation, but maybe it sounds worse than it is. There's dedicated loving owners who stick through the bad times with their pets and the pets triumph over their disabilities after a short (or sometimes long) period of rehab. The great thing is, cats and dogs usually love life dispute it all...

When my father was growing up they had a cat that was killed from chewing on an electric cord. If you have a pet that chews on cords, do everything you can to move the cords out of the way and under rugs/furniture, or cover them with tinfoil or store bought protectors or repellent sprays (make sure that cat doesn't like the spray first!) ...

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.

Last edited by Carmel; 11-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I've never had a problem with my older (2 years old) female chewing cords,but my 9 month old Maine Coon still likes to sneak and chew them. I tried Bitter Apple and several other things before I found something that he won't touch now. I hope your friend's cat is ok.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement