How Often Do You Clean The Litterbox? - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How Often Do You Clean The Litterbox?
Once A Day 23 38.33%
Twice A Day 29 48.33%
A Few Times Per Week 7 11.67%
Once Per Week 1 1.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post
You should be scooping pee too, you shouldn't leave the pee in the litter box. Pee won't stink if it isn't left in the box. And..poor kitty, how can she even dig? Leaving the pee is going to cause litter box avoidance problems sooner or later.

the pee doesn't clump in the litter and we have no issues with avoidance he knows where it is always kept and since the day we found him he has always known how to use his litter box, and I put fresh litter in ever 2 -3 days so it doesn't get "dirty" also we don't really have much of an odor issue as we change litter often and when we change the litter we also bleach the litter box I am very particular about that,

Last edited by Dexter; 11-24-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I noticed ET sniffed the whole box 1st before using. Each time before going into his box, he will meow real loudly "I'm gonna poop", then immediately after finishing, he will meow real loudly again "I have finished, please clean up", lol...Funny, if he pee, he doesn't meow at all. The way he meow, I know he's gonna do his big business.
oh my gosh, my cat does this too! its so weird how they announce it XD
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #23 (permalink)
Cat

Tinker my adult cat doesn't like a dirty tray. He will hold on until I have removed a wee before he does his poo so I just check multiple times a day to see if it needs removing.

We just got 2 kittens so have 2 more trays and I come down this morning and he had one a wee in 1 and a poo in another! I also check the kittens tray many times a day and scoop our whenever there is something to scoop. I do a full dump and scrub every 4 weeks
Pushkabounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

I scoop daily. I have 4 litter boxes in the house so once a day is usually sufficient. I do glance in them as I go about my daily routine and may scoop a second time if necessary.
NutroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Kitten

Several times a day. I have 2 kittens, and am cat-sitting another kitten..
And today I wasn't home mid-day to scoop..

Almost the ENTIRE box was in clumps!

I have 4 boxes out, but they all prefer to use this one box..
I only scoop the other boxes if I see a clump. Usually, there is only one or two a day per other box..

I dump/sanitize as needed, but at least every 2 weeks.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post
Minimum three times a day. But usually much more often than that, because if I am home and I hear a cat in the boxes, I just go down right away and scoop it out. And I always check them before I leave the house and when I first walk in. So yeah, lots of times. I didn't vote in the poll, since there is no choice for that.

Dump and scrub once a week.
Me too. I end up scooping at least 4x/day, although sometimes there's nothing in one of the two boxes.

However, I dump and scrub only about every 3 or 3 1/2 weeks - whenever the bag of World's Best runs out.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I have 1 cat and scoop twice a day. I totally empty and scrub the box every 4-6 weeks. I'd do this scrub down more frequently if I had more cats, but I did a 3-week cleaning once and it just wasn't dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I was curious about the people who do the frequent scrub down of litter boxes: does anyone here use the litter box liners? I use the thick jumbo ones and there is no need for a total box scrub down. I just replace the whole liner instead. I have a deep wide bottom on the box and my kitties don't spray up on the cover. Just curious?
Luvmyfurbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I scoop twice a day or more if there is a fresh poo and I happen to catch it and they get completely cleaned about every two weeks. I rotate and completely clean two every week (I have four total).

And I do use the liners, when I say completely clean, I mean I change the liner and put in all new litter.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmyfurbabies View Post
I was curious about the people who do the frequent scrub down of litter boxes: does anyone here use the litter box liners? I use the thick jumbo ones and there is no need for a total box scrub down. I just replace the whole liner instead. I have a deep wide bottom on the box and my kitties don't spray up on the cover. Just curious?
I scoop around 3 times daily on average. I use to use liners when I first got my cats, but then found it actually created more of a mess than without. They would scratch holes in the sides of it while burying their waste and when I would lift the bag up, it would all come pouring out anyways. I very rarely do a whole scrub down. Maybe once every 6 months or so. Unless someone made a big mess, then I will clean it out good.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement