How long does it take a kitten to get used to new food? Please help! - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Get the kittens onto a canned diet, grain free, and add a probiotic daily. Kibble is no good for kittens, they need moisture. Especially a kitten with soft stool. Soft stool, if there are no parasites, means the kitten is not absorbing the food properly. A probiotic will help. I like ProViable DC, made specifically for cats. I started my kitten on it when she was having a simialr problem (I did, however have a stool sample sent out for a complete lab work up to eliminate the possiblity of coccidia and giardia and trichomonas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Mixing dry food isn't a good idea. Each food is formulated to be complete when served alone. When you mix them, they're not complete.
This isn't true. Feeding a variety of brands is actually much better, as you are more likely to avoid any dietary omissions that way. But the kittens will do better on a wet diet anyway.
lovetimesfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by duodallas View Post
My kitten is now 7 months old and still has soft stool, though occasionally there are some firm pieces. His gas is really bad. This morning I heard him fart for about 5 seconds. He has been treated for worms twice a month apart. I think the intestines need time to recover from de-worming treatment.

We mix 4 different kinds of dry food together, and give him canned, also.
Thank you for your input!
gizmoandloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallycat View Post
When our stray litter were kittens, they were very touchy on food...even if it was the same brand but a different flavor. Once/week, I opened a capsule of acipophilous and it seemed to help, mixed into their canned food.

As for how long it takes to adjust to new food...I thought you meant to decide to eat it. I am trying to switch our cats to EVO and they ate the canned at first and now, it is touch and go and rarely touch. They have exhibited gas even as adults with new food introduction, so I suppose it is like people upping their fiber...just the nature of the beast.
Sorry, I should have been more specific! They eat it fine, it just didn't seem to agree with their stomachs too well. They seem to be a lot better now I think. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
I never (or very rarely) buy the same thing twice for my cats. I always switch the brand of food that I have fed them every time they run out of food. That said, I do have about 3-4 favorites that I will rotate between from now on. I also do canned and raw to get variety in their diet. I haven't had a problem with them not doing well on a food and I switch pretty much cold turkey.

Oh really, hmm maybe I might have to give that a go when they're a bit older. They're just on dry biscuits at the moment. Thanks !
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I can understand, it can be quite discouraging when there are no responses. But I just realised, sometimes its cos those who view do not have the experiences or any suggestion to offer. I for one, have no experience with kittens, so nothing to suggest, sorry for going off topic.
Yes, sorry I did think that. Apologies for the delay in replying, I didn't seem to get any emails telling about replies, so I thought there still were none!

Thanks for your input though.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
Has a stool sample been tested? Giardia and coccidia are two microscopic parasites that would not be covered by a basic deworming.

The stress of rehoming and new food could be causing their system to be upset. Could be an intolerance for the food, especially if it's a low quality brand (what brand are you feeding?). Or even an allergy to a particular protein or grain.

If the stool test hasn't been done, that should be first. If negative, I would try some canned pumpkin, the fiber helps to bulk up the stool. A probiotic and digestive enzymes wouldn't hurt either.

Overeating can also cause diarrhea. Kittens should be allowed to eat their fill, but not pig out and stuff themselves.

And read up around here about food quality and the need for canned food (if you're not already educated on cat nutrition).
Yes, I think it might have been the stress of rehoming and the new food causing the upset. He seems to be a lot better now.

I also heard about canned pumpkin but I'm not sure where to find that in the UK? I'll definitely keep an eye on how much they're eating, thank you!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Most views on our forum are from guests who can't post. If you look at the bottom, right now it says:

Currently Active Users: 510 (13 members and 497 guests)

Almost 500 non-members are viewing the forum right now. And like Snowy mentioned, lots of us read posts but, unfortunately, have no advice.

My apologies.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetimesfour View Post
Get the kittens onto a canned diet, grain free, and add a probiotic daily. Kibble is no good for kittens, they need moisture. Especially a kitten with soft stool. Soft stool, if there are no parasites, means the kitten is not absorbing the food properly. A probiotic will help. I like ProViable DC, made specifically for cats. I started my kitten on it when she was having a simialr problem (I did, however have a stool sample sent out for a complete lab work up to eliminate the possiblity of coccidia and giardia and trichomonas)

This isn't true. Feeding a variety of brands is actually much better, as you are more likely to avoid any dietary omissions that way. But the kittens will do better on a wet diet anyway.
Thanks for your advice.

I was told not to feet the kittens wet food until they are a year old because it can damage their teeth. Is this not true, do you think they need wet food then?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoandloki View Post
Thanks for your advice.

I was told not to feet the kittens wet food until they are a year old because it can damage their teeth. Is this not true, do you think they need wet food then?
If your vet gave you this piece of "wisdom" don't listen to them even though you probably think you should because they are your vet. Veterinarians didn't get a degree in nutrition. They got it in pet medicine. The few classes on nutrition they did take were more than likely run by big companies like Iams or science diet which are VERY horrible foods.... Starting kittens on a healthy diet from the start is way better than starting later on.... Healthy from the beginning and they will have a healthy life right?? wet food does no more damage than kibble does on teeth. If your really worried about their teeth there are many kits you can buy these days to clean their teeth with!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMonkeys View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does that work? If they are all complete when eaten alone, how can none of them be complete when eaten together? That doesn't make any sense to me.
Gotta concur with CatMonkeys here about mixing dry food! Just how is this possible?

As far as the loose stools in your new kitten, Loki, I would have a vet check him out again. If the conditions are as bad as you said there may be more underlying issues than his diet. Best wishes for this little guy!!!

Last edited by Marcia; 01-03-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: omitted word
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement