How long does it take a kitten to get used to new food? Please help! - Page 3 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cat

I adopted a 10 week old from a shelter and he had runny and stinky diarrhea every day. He had been dewormed multiple times at the shelter , but it didn't help. For the first 2 months we assumed his diarrhea was from stress or new food or what not, but finally we decided to test his poop and it turns out he had giardia. It seemed to have made his poop less stinky, but it still usually is pretty gloppy and without shape. We put him on some high fiber food (w/d) and it might've helped a bit. We try new brands of wet and dry food and hopefully eventually well find something that works. I'd say get him checked for parasites/worms and then try some new foods till you find something that seems to sit well with him!

Good luck!
MyBabiesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #22 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
If your vet gave you this piece of "wisdom" don't listen to them even though you probably think you should because they are your vet. Veterinarians didn't get a degree in nutrition. They got it in pet medicine. The few classes on nutrition they did take were more than likely run by big companies like Iams or science diet which are VERY horrible foods.... Starting kittens on a healthy diet from the start is way better than starting later on.... Healthy from the beginning and they will have a healthy life right?? wet food does no more damage than kibble does on teeth. If your really worried about their teeth there are many kits you can buy these days to clean their teeth with!
Thanks Zilla! OK, maybe I'll have to have a look into some wet food for them!
gizmoandloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Gotta concur with CatMonkeys here about mixing dry food! Just how is this possible?

As far as the loose stools in your new kitten, Loki, I would have a vet check him out again. If the conditions are as bad as you said there may be more underlying issues than his diet. Best wishes for this little guy!!!
Thanks Marcia. He definitely seems to be better now, except for a couple of times he's had a bit of a dodgy stomach. It's really hard to tell though, because I have two kittens, and a lot of the time they go to the loo when I'm not there! So, I don't know which one's done what, and they've normally covered it over. I am keeping an eye on it though!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBabiesDaddy View Post
I adopted a 10 week old from a shelter and he had runny and stinky diarrhea every day. He had been dewormed multiple times at the shelter , but it didn't help. For the first 2 months we assumed his diarrhea was from stress or new food or what not, but finally we decided to test his poop and it turns out he had giardia. It seemed to have made his poop less stinky, but it still usually is pretty gloppy and without shape. We put him on some high fiber food (w/d) and it might've helped a bit. We try new brands of wet and dry food and hopefully eventually well find something that works. I'd say get him checked for parasites/worms and then try some new foods till you find something that seems to sit well with him!

Good luck!
Hello MyBabiesDaddy!

Yes, he's been dewormed too, due for another one soon. Ok, I think I might get him tested actually, seems like a good idea. Just to make sure he doesn't have anything! They're actually both going in soon to be chipped and neutered, so maybe I could get it done then!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement