How long does it take a kitten to get used to new food? Please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default How long does it take a kitten to get used to new food? Please help!

Hi all,

I have two 10 week old kittens, and they were in a pretty horrible home before and had to be taken out rather quickly. So, we don't know what food they were on before, so we put them on dry biscuits. Gizmo is perfectly fine no problems, but our little Loki has a bit of a dodgy stomach. Sometimes his stools are much firmer, but others are like liquid.

He's still eating and drinking perfectly fine, and seems OK. He's been deflead, dewormed and had his first jabs. He's been with us since last Saturday (24th) I'm just wondering if it's the new food/new surroundings and how long it might take him to get used to it? Or if there's something I can give him to help his stomach. I'm based in the UK if this helps.

I just feel horrible that he might be poorly, especially as he keeps stepping in it too, and we keep having to have emergency paw washes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.
gizmoandloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

42 views and no suggestions?
gizmoandloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

My kitten is now 7 months old and still has soft stool, though occasionally there are some firm pieces. His gas is really bad. This morning I heard him fart for about 5 seconds. He has been treated for worms twice a month apart. I think the intestines need time to recover from de-worming treatment.

We mix 4 different kinds of dry food together, and give him canned, also.
duodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

When our stray litter were kittens, they were very touchy on food...even if it was the same brand but a different flavor. Once/week, I opened a capsule of acipophilous and it seemed to help, mixed into their canned food.

As for how long it takes to adjust to new food...I thought you meant to decide to eat it. I am trying to switch our cats to EVO and they ate the canned at first and now, it is touch and go and rarely touch. They have exhibited gas even as adults with new food introduction, so I suppose it is like people upping their fiber...just the nature of the beast.
wallycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by duodallas View Post
My kitten is now 7 months old and still has soft stool, though occasionally there are some firm pieces. His gas is really bad. This morning I heard him fart for about 5 seconds. He has been treated for worms twice a month apart. I think the intestines need time to recover from de-worming treatment.

We mix 4 different kinds of dry food together, and give him canned, also.
Mixing dry food isn't a good idea. Each food is formulated to be complete when served alone. When you mix them, they're not complete.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Mixing dry food isn't a good idea. Each food is formulated to be complete when served alone. When you mix them, they're not complete.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does that work? If they are all complete when eaten alone, how can none of them be complete when eaten together? That doesn't make any sense to me.
CatMonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I never (or very rarely) buy the same thing twice for my cats. I always switch the brand of food that I have fed them every time they run out of food. That said, I do have about 3-4 favorites that I will rotate between from now on. I also do canned and raw to get variety in their diet. I haven't had a problem with them not doing well on a food and I switch pretty much cold turkey.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoandloki View Post
I can understand, it can be quite discouraging when there are no responses. But I just realised, sometimes its cos those who view do not have the experiences or any suggestion to offer. I for one, have no experience with kittens, so nothing to suggest, sorry for going off topic.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Has a stool sample been tested? Giardia and coccidia are two microscopic parasites that would not be covered by a basic deworming.

The stress of rehoming and new food could be causing their system to be upset. Could be an intolerance for the food, especially if it's a low quality brand (what brand are you feeding?). Or even an allergy to a particular protein or grain.

If the stool test hasn't been done, that should be first. If negative, I would try some canned pumpkin, the fiber helps to bulk up the stool. A probiotic and digestive enzymes wouldn't hurt either.

Overeating can also cause diarrhea. Kittens should be allowed to eat their fill, but not pig out and stuff themselves.

And read up around here about food quality and the need for canned food (if you're not already educated on cat nutrition).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoandloki View Post
Most views on our forum are from guests who can't post. If you look at the bottom, right now it says:

Currently Active Users: 510 (13 members and 497 guests)

Almost 500 non-members are viewing the forum right now. And like Snowy mentioned, lots of us read posts but, unfortunately, have no advice.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement