A Taste of the Wild - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Taste of the Wild is the best quality you can buy for the price. Better than all the big names out there. Science diet... Royal Canin.... Eukanuba..... I guarantee all three of those cr*p foods cost way more than taste of the wild does. I would put Taste of the Wilds quality up there with Orejin, Acana, Blue Wilderness, and Wellness Core.... And even compared to those it's way cheaper..... A 15 pound bag runs only 28.99..... Those other ones run about 40... And some of the bags are smaller than 15 pounds.... And yes their manufacturer Diamond has had some recalls but that doesn't make it a horrible food. Almost every company has had a recall at some point. You just need to pay attention to when they do post a recall... I've personally never been effected by one....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Orijen, Acana, and Wellness CORE do not use pea or potato protein in their food. Both pea and potato protein are very high up on the TotW ingredient list on both flavors meaning they a major source of protein. I do agree that it's cheap for what it is and that it's considerably better than the expensive junk brands like Science Diet and such though.

Last edited by marie73; 12-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Wellness Core: Deboned Turkey, Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whitefish Meal, Herring Meal, Peas, Turkey Meal, Potatoes,...

Acana: Chicken meal, russet potato, boneless chicken, boneless walleye, whitefish meal*, peas,

Orejin: Fresh boneless chicken*, chicken meal, fresh boneless salmon*, turkey meal, fresh chicken liver*, herring meal, russet potato, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), sweet potato, peas,

Granted in Orejin it is farther back... Would I put Taste of the Wild next to Orejin? No but I'd defiantly put it a step under... I should have said put a step under instead of up with sorry. But the point I was making is this...

Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain 15lbs: $30.99

Acana Grasslands 15lbs: $43.99
Orejin Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $51.99
Blue Wilderness 12lbs: $35.99
Wellness Core Turkey 12lbs: $40.99
EVO Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $44.99
Felidae pureELEMENTS 15lbs: $37.99
Halo GRAIN FREE 6lbs: $23.99 <Insane... Doesnt come in a bigger bag
Go Natural Grain Free 16lbs: $54.99
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free 11lbs: $35.99
Before Grain Chicken 11lbs: $25.99
Natural Balance ALPHA 10lbs: $31.99
NOW Grain Free 16lbs: $59.99
Natures Variety Chicken 12lbs: $32.99
Natures Variety Rawboost 11lbs: $41.99 <Insane....
California Natural Grain Free 15lbs: $38.99
Solid Gold Indigo Moon 15lbs: $38.99
Earthborn Holistics Grain Free 14lbs: $29.99 This is the only one that comes close.

BAD FOODS
Eukanuba Adult Lamb & Rice 16lbs: $30.99 HAS grains and its cr*p
Science Diet Balance Grain Free 10lbs: $43.99
Science Diet Optimal Care Original 17lbs: $36.99 HAS byproducts, corn and everything else nasty!!
Iams Original 20lbs: $38.99 (see above line ^^^)
Iams "Premium Proctection" 13lbs: $29.99 (see above line ^^^)
Iams "Healthy Naturals" 16lbs: $34.99 (AGAIN see above line ^^^)
Fancy Feast 12lbs: $25.99 (RICE as the first ingredient? whaaaat? and see above line)
Royal Canin Adult Fit 15lbs: $43.99 (continue to see above lines....)

Ugh breathe.. someone needs to save that list. That took forever... Do I promote feeding ALL dry food to a cat? No... But there is a good list for you all. Mine get Honest Kitchen Prowl (dehydrated raw) and Natures Variety, Soulistic, Weruva, and Evo cans. My kitten only gets very little amounts of Taste of the Wild kibble left out in between meals when Im at work...

Keep in mind all these prices came from Chewy.com which is usually cheaper than store prices if not the same. Petco marks up Wellness, Blue, and Natures Variety more...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 12-06-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cool Cat

There is a difference between pea/potato protein and whole peas/potatoes.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

And that is? I just dont know I guess...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Pea/potato protein is what is left after removing the starchy part. In other words, it means a significant part of this food's protein is plant-based. Animal-based proteins are more nutritionally usable than plant-based. Not all protein is equal. The majority of people here would agree that plant-based diets aren't appropriate for carnivorous cats.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The protein content of whole potato is less than 2 percent, peas are 16%. Pea protein or potato protein is 100% protein from those sources.

A food with pea or potato protein has a significantly higher amount of it's protein content coming from vegetable sources than a food with whole peas or potato. As obligate carnivores, cats need their protein from meat sources.

The fact that the TOW food has 4 of the first 6 ingredients that are peas, pea protein, potato and potato protein says that a very significant amount of the protein is plant based.

It's a decent food...but not close to being on par with Orijen or many of others that you mention. But it's well worth the price. Now if we're talking dog food, I give TOW much higher marks because there is no pea or potato protein.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Cat

That's why I corrected myself when I said i more meant to say its a step under Orejin not really equivalent. I don't think you can beat Orejin as far dry goes.... I vouch for TOTW as a dog food too. My point just was if your on a budget but you still wanna feed a good food then TOTW is the way to go. That's why I used those others as a comparison. It's not better than them but it is a contender and under priced for what it is.....

Thanks for explaining the pea/potato protein thing..... I didn't know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I tried Taste of the Wild wet, and neither of my girls would go near it.

If the cat won't eat it, it doesn't matter how high quality the food is...
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

One other thing about TOW is that there is very little fresh meat in it. Foods with meals are double cooked...once when the meal is created, again after it's put into the kibble formula. This process leaches the nutrients and flavor out of it. Fresh meat is only cooked once, during the kibble making process so it tastes better and doesn't need as much vitamin supplementation. So a food using more fresh meat and less (or no) meal is a better quality food (assuming the protein and fat levels are comparable).

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement