A Taste of the Wild - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default A Taste of the Wild

anyone have a review or opinion on this food? i just ordered it for my 3 indoor kitties. i was previously feeding Purina
Mrgnx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

Are you getting dry or wet? Declan has been on the dry Rocky Mountain kind, which is roasted venison/smoked salmon. He loves it. We feed him twice a day and he scarfs it all down within a few minutes. So far he has been perfectly healthy, too. We just bought a new bag of it last week and so far a big bag is lasting just over 2 months. No plans to change his food for now!

I should note that your kitties may be a bit reluctant to change if they've been fed a cheaper food. They put something super tasty on cheaper foods and the kitties go wild for it. In the past, Declan always eaten it very happily, but he just got home after spending a week at a friend's house (we were out of town) and he ate a lot of the kittens' food (and visibly gained weight in that one week!), they get some grocery store brand. Now he's kind of turning up his nose at the Taste of the Wild food! I'm sure he'll come around soon, though. My husband was wondering why he preferred the cheaper stuff and I compared it to Friskies or whatever being Doritos and Taste of the Wild being a salad. They like the junk food!

Last edited by Kittybuns; 12-04-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Kittybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

I mix it with Blue Buffalo and some Wellness dry. My cats like it.
duodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Another thumbs up from me for the Rocky Mountain flavor. The quality to price ratio can't be beat, and my kitten seems to be a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittybuns View Post
Are you getting dry or wet? Declan has been on the dry Rocky Mountain kind, which is roasted venison/smoked salmon. He loves it. We feed him twice a day and he scarfs it all down within a few minutes. So far he has been perfectly healthy, too. We just bought a new bag of it last week and so far a big bag is lasting just over 2 months. No plans to change his food for now!

I should note that your kitties may be a bit reluctant to change if they've been fed a cheaper food. They put something super tasty on cheaper foods and the kitties go wild for it. In the past, Declan always eaten it very happily, but he just got home after spending a week at a friend's house (we were out of town) and he ate a lot of the kittens' food (and visibly gained weight in that one week!), they get some grocery store brand. Now he's kind of turning up his nose at the Taste of the Wild food! I'm sure he'll come around soon, though. My husband was wondering why he preferred the cheaper stuff and I compared it to Friskies or whatever being Doritos and Taste of the Wild being a salad. They like the junk food!
I purchased 3 bags of the same kind you have! I will mix the 2 kinds at first, to convert them. So glad you all approve! I'm eager for my babies to eat more healthily!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I used to feed Rocky Mountain to the strays too until the recall, they all loved it more than the other brands I am feeding now, including Acana. Taste of the Wild do get some good reviews, cos there's no by-product, no corn/wheat gluten/soy and whatever other stuff. The only setback is the manufacturer, Diamond.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The downside to TotW like snowy said is the manufacturer. Diamond has had repeated recalls due to salmonella and FDA violations.

Dry food is not ideal; you should really consider switching to a variety of grain-free wet foods. It's better for your cat and your wallet in the long term.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I was just thinking that. Fancy Feast Classic has good reviews. what do we think folks?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgnx11 View Post
I was just thinking that. Fancy Feast Classic has good reviews. what do we think folks?
I don't think that's an ideal food. While it's better than some and doesn't contain grains, it does contain unnamed "meat" and by-products. That can be anything from roadkill to euthanized animals for all we know and by-products are basically any part of the animal you can think of ground up. It also has artificial flavors and colors added.

I would go with big cans of EVO 95% or Wellness Chicken/Turkey. They're very reasonably priced and grain-free.

If your budget allows for more, there are many other high quality grain-free wet foods.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tom Cat

As far as wet food goes, I'd feed something with grains before I'd feed something with ANY kind of byproduct.

I use taste of the wild as a supplement to BFF, Wellness, and Soulistic wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
rightsaidfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement