Junior food vs adult food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Junior food vs adult food

Hi all,

I adopted a 5/6 months cat from the shelter who was on dry food only.
I kept in on dry food only for 2 weeks until I read about all the problems it can lead to, so I now want to change his diet to wet food - for the moment he's on a mix.
There are not many options on junior wet food around here (south Spain) and the existing ones don't really look that good.
On the other hand, the options on adult wet food are many, and I was wondering if there is any problem or am I missing on any nutrients by giving him adult food.
I tried to search for some info here but couldn't find anything. If this was already discussed, just post the link.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Soraia

Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You should be able to easily find food for "all life stages". Some may disagree, but I doubt adult food will harm him.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks. Any more opinions?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

I had a bit of trouble to find out why the change from dry to wet food was not working with my cat Ziggy, until I had the breakthrough yesterday.
The wet food I was giving him had no smell, so he was simply refusing to eat it.
Might look basic for some but for a 1st cat owner like me it was not that obvious.

And all because I saw a promotion in the local supermarket and decided to buy it to try again. It smells amazing, really! and he loved it!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Peg
Kitten

I'm confused now. I took my kitten the his first vet visit and asked the question about wet versus dry. She said dry only is fine. It actually keeps their teeth cleaner. Wet is good if the cat is sick because of the high water content. I give my kitty one meal of wet every other day or so just because the same old food MUST be boring(can you imagine?)and he loves it. So what problems can come up with a dry only diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Peg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
I'm confused now. I took my kitten the his first vet visit and asked the question about wet versus dry. She said dry only is fine. It actually keeps their teeth cleaner. Wet is good if the cat is sick because of the high water content. I give my kitty one meal of wet every other day or so just because the same old food MUST be boring(can you imagine?)and he loves it. So what problems can come up with a dry only diet?
I dont think any of us on here can preach this enough. Do NOT listen to your vet when it comes to anything that has to do with feeding your cat. Unless of course they are a special one whos gone above and beyond wanting to know the truth about nutrition but... thats rare... Your vet got a degree in medicine right? NOT nutrition. The few nutrition classes he/she might of taken in vet school were more than likely run by big junk food companies like Iams, Science Diet, Royal Canin or Purina. They dont understand nor care enough to know that they are recommending CR*P for food to everyone and their poor pets. Saying dry food helps keep teeth cleaner is a complete myth. They make kitty toothpaste now if your really worried about that but thats beside the point... A dry only diet is risky. Cats are VERY susceptible to UTIs because they tend to not drink enough water so in turn yes a wet food diet is better for them or at least a little wet and not ALL dry. With all the carbohydrates in kibble you run the risk for a number of other diseases like diabetes. (my step dads cat currently has this.. why? because they fed her iams dry her whole life) So like I said and how many will say here... Do not listen to your vet. If they try to tell you to feed YOUR animal iams or science diet just nod and smile thats all you have to do and think to yourself "yeah if you only cared to know the truth lady" Dont let them suck you into those "prescription" diet bags of junk either... much better food you can buy with your money...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Here's an informative article on cat nutrition, explains why dry kibble is not an optimum food for cats:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

I also noticed a big difference in his energy levels.
Before he used to sleep almost all day. Now since he is on wet food he's way more active and playful!
Today I've cut his nails (first time on my own), gave him a new toy and we had fun with a new brush. We're having a great time, love him! <3