Only 7 days until kitty spay... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Default Only 7 days until kitty spay...

My foster kitten gets spayed in 7 days. I drop her off in the morning and then pick her up that evening. It's being done at my regular vet clinic. I'm not worried. My vet is quite good and I trust her. They usually only spay/neuter at 6 months but she's doing it at 4 months for me. Hopefully she doesn't go into heat by the 20th...

I had someone inquire about adopting her a few days ago and she said she would "definitely" declaw and I said that's a no-go and then she decided they would use nail caps a few hours later. I had her fill out the application and she lied on it about having previous pets so I told her it wasn't a good match. If you lie about that, what else would you lie about? I just wasn't comfortable with it and she's fine at my house for now anyways.

Once she's spayed, she'll be fully vetted. She's got all of her kitten vaccines, tested neg for FIV/FeLV, and she's been dewormed.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Good for you. The sudden reversal about wanting to declaw is really suspect.

Holly and Murphy
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yeah, I was really concerned about that. The lying was just the cherry on top.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I took the risk and bought a case of EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey Kitten food. I was afraid she wouldn't like it but she's eating it quite well. I've been trying to switch up her food semi-often to prevent pickiness.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

She was spayed today! They are keeping her overnight though. I didn't know it until I already had her at the vet. It's 50 miles to drive to the vet and back.

I didn't take any food because I didn't know she would be staying and it's too far to drive back with food so I guess she'll be eating Science Diet. I asked them to feed her wet though so I guess that's better than dry SD.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

She's back home this morning and seemingly fine. She ate a (late) breakfast of EVO Chicken & Turkey kitten food and is running around despite my best efforts to keep her inactive.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Aw, I'm glad she came through just fine.

That woman who wanted to adopt - it's really worrisome that there are people out there who will lie on adoption applications. It's like they're acknowledging the fact that they know they're not good candidates to adopt pets.

How did you find out that she lied about owning pets? Did she fess up? Anyway, happily for the little kitty, your antennae were up and you didn't adopt to that woman. It would be great if there were some kind of database that kept info on no-go adopters, you know, like the national fingerprint database.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

She was from a city that's about an hour and a half away. I have a friend I know through animal rescue that lives there and I sent her a message on Facebook asking if she could do the home visit for me if I gave her instructions/check list. She said sure and that her daughter actually went to school with this lady. I asked if there was anything I should know and she said that she's had several dogs that's she gotten rid of and they actually called her to see if she would take one of them. I didn't look into it any further as I had already made my mind up not to adopt to her.

I know. The shelter I volunteer at unofficially has a blacklist that we share with other shelters in the area. I'm not sure if the other shelters use it or not. There's one that claims to be no kill but just transfers animals to the city to euthanize so I doubt them.

Last edited by marie73; 12-22-2012 at 03:55 AM.
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Wow, it's great that you had a contact who was able to confirm your suspicions. The woman gave up several dogs and wanted another animal? Geez.

I hope the other shelters are using the info and being responsible rather than being so desperate to adopt out their animals that they're willing to take chances.

It's also really depressing about the shelter that says it's no-kill but sends animals to the pound. Now I'm wondering if that's also the case with my local SPCA, especially since I believe the city pound is very close to the SPCA.

Do you foster often? I've really wanted to, but I don't want to upset my hostile-to-other-cats Margaux and the super skittish Celia.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
It's also really depressing about the shelter that says it's no-kill but sends animals to the pound. Now I'm wondering if that's also the case with my local SPCA, especially since I believe the city pound is very close to the SPCA.

Do you foster often? I've really wanted to, but I don't want to upset my hostile-to-other-cats Margaux and the super skittish Celia.
I'm not sure that it's a common arrangement and I doubt they would tell you if they did do it. They keep it hush-hush here.

I don't foster often. I fostered a chihuahua earlier in the year and we ended up adopting it. This kitten is one that I took in on my own. I don't really want to keep her because my house is a zoo as is but if I have to, I will.