Revolution - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Unhappy Revolution

Does anyone use Revolution? Do you notice any side effects?

The vet I got them from said if I didn't buy from them I would have to sign a waiver. They claimed that they couldn't guarantee that they were stored properly or not expired, etc.

Our new vet said they didn't use Revolution, but if I wanted to order them online, I would have to have him checked for heartworm, etc. first. Don't understand that, but will ask when time comes.

Sorry for rant, but to question - Petey had no effects 1st time, had sort of a "stoned and lethargic" effect 2nd time, spacy and weird (can't explain, just not quite right) 3rd time which was today.

He jumped on the counter and when I picked him up and set him down, he almost fell over. After about 10 mijnutes he is back to normal. My husband said he is fine, but I'm worried.
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat

I use Revolution for my two and the only side effects I've noticed is the skin twitching for a second after I apply it.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I've been using Revolution on our 6 cats (2 indoor, now 3, and 4 outdoor, now 3) for 3 years and have noticed no side effects. That's just my experience.

WRT the vet's "concern"? I'd have to ask myself "is it for the cats benefit or the vets"?
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
WRT the vet's "concern"? I'd have to ask myself "is it for the cats benefit or the vets"?
I plan to ask that. This vet is really nice. It was the girl at the front desk who told me about the testing.

I was just concerned that maybe the Revolution was hurting him somehow.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Just did some research and one site said that they should be tested for heartworms before being prescribed Revolution, but didn't say why.

Also found this site that explains what I am seeing. The Side Effects of Revolution Flea Medication | eHow.com

Metabolic Reactions
Since Revolution works by entering your pet's bloodstream through the skin, it can cause your pet to experience an increased heart rate. As the heart rate increases, breathing can become more rapid, indicating a possible reaction, according to Drugs.com. Also, as it moves through your pet's blood stream, it can cause a weakness in the muscles, resulting in tremors.

Drowsiness
Another side effect you might notice is drowsiness or lethargic behavior. According to Pet Place, a lethargic pet is often listless, hides from human contact and is reluctant to play. Any of these signs can be an indicator that your pet is reacting to the flea treatment.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
I use Revolution for my two and the only side effects I've noticed is the skin twitching for a second after I apply it.
I suppose that, for a cat, it must be like someone pouring a glass of water down your back Our cats don't like it being applied either.

When we first started using Revolution I was kind of amazed that there were no noticeable side effects. I figured that anything toxic enough to kill fleas would have SOME adverse effect, but none that I've noticed.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I noticed most of them in this forum uses Frontline. My friend will be going to Bangkok and apparently the price of Revolution there is half of what we pay in Sg. I was wondering if it is advisable for me to stock up some.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Hopefully there's no issue WRT importing pet meds. Also, as with most meds, there would be an expiration date so check that out to get the most time.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdswan14 View Post
Our new vet said they didn't use Revolution, but if I wanted to order them online, I would have to have him checked for heartworm, etc. first. Don't understand that, but will ask when time comes.
Late response but perhaps you'll see it.

You will need to get a prescription from your vet. Any good vet would require that you do a heartworm antigen test first. Revolution prevents heartworms and if your cat has an existing infection, it could kill your cat. Heartworms aren't really much of a concern in indoor-only cats in my opinion but the risk is always there.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
I noticed most of them in this forum uses Frontline. My friend will be going to Bangkok and apparently the price of Revolution there is half of what we pay in Sg. I was wondering if it is advisable for me to stock up some.
You'll want to make sure it's not a "fake". Fake medicine could contain very harmful things.