A little worried about my kitty . . - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Question A little worried about my kitty . .

For about a month or so, my cat has been biting off the hair on his lower back. There are no dramatic changes in our household that could cause him to do so, other than his reluctance to go outside. Not too much longer, he got threw up twice and seem constipated after we purchase a bigger bag of our normal cat food. We gave him some cat food with pumpkin to help him use the bathroom, which help and he is now better, however, ever since then he doesn't want to eat his dry food (he does eat the dry food but only if he really has to). He is consistently wining for food and he is always grooming himself. I don't know where this is behavior problems or physical?

I really don't know what is wrong. I've been thinking that he might have something wrong with his teeth. I are a little dirty but not really noticeable. And, it cost so much money to get his teeth clean! Please any suggestions on his condition or on what I should do would help. Thank you.
By the way, he is about 5 or 6 years old.
LynnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Dry food isn't very good for cats. Here's an excellent article on cat nutrition:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Even the cheapest canned food is better than dry kibble, and it's possible this is irritating his skin that causes him to bite at his back.
At age 5 or 6 yrs., he likely does have quite a bit of tartar on his teeth. Dental care for a cat is one of the costs of having a healthy pet and if it is not done can lead to more serious health problems. Once you have his teeth cleaned, you can give him some raw chicken wings to chew on. These will help keep the tartar from forming again. Make sure they are raw and not cooked, as cooking makes the bones brittle and could cause injury. Not all cats will eat raw meat (mine won't), but there are supplements available to sprinkle on the food that inhibit tartar formation.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Biting hair on his lower back...like at the base of his tail? Fleas maybe? And if he has fleas, he could very well have tapeworms which might account for him being hungry.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Fleas sprang to my mind as well as the most likely problem but it could be the equivalent of OCD. I would look at your food in case it is a reaction.
Arianwen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Food allergy?

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

No, he doesn't have fleas. I've cheek for fleas and I don't see any. However, he did have fleas during the late summer months, so he could have got a parasite. And yes, his hair is coming off where the back ends and tail begins.

I think the parasite or dental care are good possibilities. Most likely, he probably has a parasite problem of some sort, I think, but either way, I think I need to take him to the vet to a check up.
Thank you for your suggestions! They really help!

I have another question.
Do they sell any dental care products for cats at pet stores? If so, which ones would you recommend if you have tried any on your cat?
LynnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement