added wet food.... bloody stool - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cool Cat

You could get their poo tested for worms but it would cost more than deworming them. I got 0.5oz of pyrantel pamoate from my vet for $4.50 and that's way marked up. The instructions were 1cc per 3lbs of body weight once a week for 3 weeks and I still had a lot left.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

It might be caused by constipation, if the cat had to strain harder than normal to pass waste. That also seems to match up with the recent diet change--I know my cat is prone to constipation when I've changed her food. Either way, I would definitely talk to a vet if it doesn't clear up in a day or two. Bleeding doesn't seem like a symptom to mess around with.
Flauros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

Question Thanks, update w/ ?

So this started Monday night and now it is Friday morning. I have been checking closely when I clean the litter box there is always a tiny bit of blood in the stool. Also it is quite soft/loose. Owning cats is new to me so I am not sure what healthy cat stool consistency is but there are some in there that are more firm (guessing those are from the other cat) and some are quite soft/mushy and when smooshed you can see a tiny bit of blood within. It is so little that if on Monday there hadn't been any on that blanket I would have never even noticed. Kind of makes me wonder if it has been going on longer I just never noticed. We have had these 2 cats for 2 weeks now. I spoke with the woman from the rescue and she spoke to the woman who was fostering these cats before I got them and told her what was going on. The foster woman said one of the cats (she never figured out which cat) had trouble with wet food and it would give her loose stool. She didn't say she ever saw blood but other than that it is a similar problem with loose stools after giving wet food. I was giving them wet food (only a spoonful since it was a new food, I was starting slow) for about 5 days. Foster woman said it took a good 8-10 days before her stool was back to normal. So for now I am giving them the same purina cat chow that the foster woman was feeding them and waiting to see if the blood stops as well and the loose stool and then I want to try switching their food again since I don't think this cat chow is a very healthy choice. Even if I have to stay with dry food I think there are many better choices out there. I'd like to eventually add wet food back, maybe a better brand? And see if she has a problem. Any thoughts on wet food being the culprit for the loose stool with a bit of red blood (irritable bowel / colitis)? and suggestions on maybe trying to switch foods again in the hopefully near future? Thanks!
carrieann0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Theres a lot of good wet food out there but a lot of it is outrageously expensive I think. I personally feed EVO cans and Soulistic cans. They are the ones I find the most reasonably priced. If you want a less expensive wet look into Honest Kitchen Prowl and Grace. Its a dehydrated raw... As for dry foods I posted my list below. It pretty much covers them all I think... I've personally fed Taste of the Wild, Felidae, and Orejin before....

Dry Foods (All grain free)
Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain 15lbs: $30.99
Acana Grasslands 15lbs: $43.99
Orejin Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $51.99
Blue Wilderness 12lbs: $35.99
Wellness Core Turkey 12lbs: $40.99
EVO Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $44.99
Felidae pureELEMENTS 15lbs: $37.99
Halo GRAIN FREE 6lbs: $23.99 <Insane... Doesnt come in a bigger bag
Go Natural Grain Free 16lbs: $54.99
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free 11lbs: $35.99
Before Grain Chicken 11lbs: $25.99
Natural Balance ALPHA 10lbs: $31.99
NOW Grain Free 16lbs: $59.99
Natures Variety Chicken 12lbs: $32.99
Natures Variety Rawboost 11lbs: $41.99 <Insane....
California Natural Grain Free 15lbs: $38.99
Solid Gold Indigo Moon 15lbs: $38.99
Earthborn Holistics Grain Free 14lbs: $29.99
TimberWolf Organics Serengeti 12lbs: $30.96

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter

Last edited by marie73; 12-22-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and for the great list of food choices with prices. She was clear of any blood for a couple days and then it was back yesterday. I noticed a little smear of what looked to be blood on the top of the toilet which is a favorite seat of hers in the morning. she liked to be ready for anyone to turn the bathroom sink on for her to play and drink. It looked like there was a tiny bit in her stool. I have not changed anything with their food yet. If I do have to take her in does it matter if the stool sample has blood in it or not? I use clumping litter also, does it matter if the stool sample is covered in litter? I will be finding a local vet to use since these cats are our first pets we don't already have a vet we know. Thanks again
carrieann0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

The stool sample is a great idea. It does't matter if it has blood in it, or litter but make sure you isolate the problem cat from the others at least until you get a sample you KNOW is from the one you want to test.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement