added wet food.... bloody stool - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default added wet food.... bloody stool

Hi, We have had our 2 cats for just over a week now. They are 9months old. In their previous home they were fed Purina cat chow. I wanted to add wet food to their diet but thought I should start slow. I added Friskies (I know now not the best choice after reading more on these forums). They have had a large spoonful of Friskies (chicken and today 1st day of turkey) in the morning along with her normal purina cat chow for the past I think 5 days or so. This evening my husband noticed a small spot of feces on a blanket. He went to wipe it off before throwing the blanket in the wash and saw that there was red blood in it. We checked both cats and Latte had some red blood on the skin around her anus. She leaves a little blood on whatever she is sitting on now. I have not noticed any changed in the litter box. Could this be from the change in food? I want to switch them to a wet food diet or at least mostly wet but a bit hesitant. Maybe I should do it slower if that is the cause. any thoughts? I called the woman from the rescue group and she said it may be an irritated colon to keep an eye on her this evening and tomorrow.
carrieann0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My cats had a similar problem and it turned out to be worms and coccidia. The blood was only when they pooped, not continuous bleeding. Do you know if the cat was dewormed?
CatMonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Default I believe so...

If my memory is correct these cats were dewormed. I spoke with a few rescues but I believe they all said all their cats were dewormed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMonkeys View Post
My cats had a similar problem and it turned out to be worms and coccidia. The blood was only when they pooped, not continuous bleeding. Do you know if the cat was dewormed?
carrieann0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I would say worms though then again I don't really know.... Every cat I've ever seen on cheap friskies has had nasty stools.... When Godzilla was still a barn kitten they were feeding that stuff and all his litter mates including him had gross stools. When I brought skeeter home from the shelter they were feeding him that too and man his poop was nasty for a few days until the good food I feed him was coming out of his system I would make sure he was wormed first and then I would start blaming the cheap wet.... But that's just me.... if they say he was wormed I would take him/her to the vet. Could be a different kind of worm. I don't think all medicines kill all worms

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
I would say worms though then again I don't really know.... Every cat I've ever seen on cheap friskies has had nasty stools.... When Godzilla was still a barn kitten they were feeding that stuff and all his litter mates including him had gross stools. When I brought skeeter home from the shelter they were feeding him that too and man his poop was nasty for a few days until the good food I feed him was coming out of his system I would make sure he was wormed first and then I would start blaming the cheap wet.... But that's just me.... if they say he was wormed I would take him/her to the vet. Could be a different kind of worm. I don't think all medicines kill all worms

I kind of resent that statement, my cats eat 50/50 dry wet and yes, I feed friskies wet food and all 3 of my cats have solid stools
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

It's just been my personal experience with it. Didn't mean to offend anyone I'm sure it varies with all cats...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Highly doubt it's from the food. More likely worms,coccidia or giardia. Often times they need to be dewormed more than once. Also, being re-homed can often cause a little stress colitis. I'd watch it for a few more days and if it doesn't resolve or gets worse then a vet visit is needed. Make sure to take a stool sample with you.

FYI...a little red blood is an indicator of irritation at the end of the colon and is usually resolved easily.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Never heard of bad stools on Friskies and I know 700 cats that eat it. A few may have IBS resulting in bloody stools, but not much you can do at a cat sanctuary as far as separate meals go.

I'd say worms as the most likely cause.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
I kind of resent that statement, my cats eat 50/50 dry wet and yes, I feed friskies wet food and all 3 of my cats have solid stools
my oldest girl is on 100% dry and she has darkey more solid poops than my girls on 100% wet (although hers do stink more), it depends on the cats.

I also agree it is most likely some parasite like worms,coccidia or giardia. Ususally if it's the food it would just be loose, but if there is blood or mucas then it is usually another issue that needs to be tested.
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Just a tip, slippery elm (from the health food store) will help sooth the digestive tract while you are figuring out what the issue is! Pop open the gel cap and sprinkle a little of the powder over your kitties' meals, it will help.

Fran
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement