Please HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Please HELP!

I've taken my cat to the vet 3 times in the past 17 days... The first time was for a UTI and possibly eating rat poison. She was given Vitamin K for the rat poison and an antibiotic for the UTI. I wasn't able to finish giving her the full prescription because 12 days after seeing the vet, she starting throwing up anything she ate or drank.
I took her to the vet again because I was afraid she was having some kind of reaction to the medicine she'd been on and she was going to get dehydrated from throwing up all the water she'd drink.
This morning (the 18th) I took her to the vet once more because I noticed red spots on her ears, down to her eyes and around her mouth. She's scratching almost everywhere on her body. She's also scooting her butt on the carpet and going to the litter box more often. She got blood taken and an xray (everything was normal). He sent me home with a different kind of antibiotic than before for possible UTI (she didn't have a full bladder so he couldn't get a urine sample to officially call it a UTI). He said the red spots on her face were self inflicted...but didn't tell me why she was scratching. I suggested food allergy but didn't really get a solid response. So he gave me a steroid to help the itching, but I read online that steroids don't really do anything if the itching is caused by food allergy.

I'm stumped as to why the red spots appeared, why she is scooting, and why I can't find any answers! This is all very frustrating, and getting very expensive! I'd appreciate ANY help, please!
Bagheera's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you, but I had a similar allergy diagnosis today: my cat went to the vet because I noticed a long scratch under her chin. The vet thinks she has allergies (airborne) that are making her itchy, and that she may have scratched herself. She was also prescribed prednisone. I was concerned about whether my air filter was effective, and the vet suggested two things: first, that I get a HEPA filter that I can put over my regular air filter and second, that I get a humidifier, because these kinds of allergies tend to happen when it's very dry. Maybe this would help your kitty too?

Perhaps, despite the odd timing, the red spots aren't related to the UTI or antibiotics.

I don't know what the symptoms are of food allergies, but there are people here whose kitties have them, so I hope someone can help you to figure out if that's what your kitty has.

About the scooting: is your kitty pooping normally? One of my cats scoots occasionally when her butt area isn't entirely clean. She's also frequently constipated, so I've been wondering if she does this when there's just a tiny bit of poo there that didn't come out. What did the vet say on your 2nd visit - was the vomiting a reaction to the antibiotics?

I hope that someone's able to give you some answers and that your kitty is back to normal very soon!
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Could it be a reaction to the anti-biotics? I had a similar reaction to an anti-biotic several years ago (NOT the bottom scooting I am glad to say!!!!).
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

oh gee i am sorry to hear your cat is suffering.

I have no clue what is overall reason she is sick, but rash and itch could be allergy to antibiotics. Actually vomiting too. Antibiotics are sometimes very harsh on digestive tract causing different kinds of distress on it (vomiting, diarrhea). however one would think if antibiotic upset her intestines and stomach she would be vomiting earlier than 12 days after starting therapy.. but i am not sure.

if skin issues are caused by allergy, steroid should help, at least to some extent. i dont know if its a good idea but maybe antihistamine as well?

my husband tends to have super itchy rashes on his skin and antihistamine drugs always help. but he is a human and not on antibiotics and steroids at the same time. maybe you could ask your vet first if it's ok to try antihistamines? you could probably just call, antihistamines are otc drugs.

good luck and let us know whats going on.
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

My mom's cat, George suffered something similar for years after getting antibiotics from her vet. He had red spots, used to scratch and bite himself so badly he had wounds, and had seizures.

The vet had him on monthly steroid shots - I think Prednisone, and he never got better. Another vet agreed with the treatment, so my mother thought there was nothing else to do, and refused to stop the treatments.

After years of listening to the vets, and no improvement after about $5000 of treatment, we talked her into seeing a holistic practitioner because poor George was miserable. She advised no more shots, no more antibiotics, and no more stressful trips out of the house unless it was an emergency.

George cleared up completely in about a month.

I don't know for sure this is the case with your cat, but if this started after the antibiotics, I'd be suspicious.
Tomcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Sorry this is such a late response, but the holidays have been crazy with family parties and what not. Hope everyone had a very merry Christmas!
Thanks for the replies. Bagheera has been perking up now since her last visit to the vet. She is going to the litter box regularly, and her stool is looking normal again. She has 2 more days of the antibiotic left, and 1 more day of the prednisone. (hope I don't jinx her!) My regular vet (who I had been calling for advice most of the time) told me to watch her after she is done taking the prednisone. He said that if she starts to itch again after she is off of the meds then we'll know that there is some underlying cause to the itching.

I was feeding her Purina Pro Plan (which the vet said was a very good food) and am now feeding her Iams Digestive Care and she is liking it. I give her Iams canned food in the morning with her pills crushed up in it. She seems to be doing great! Hopefully she won't need to see the vet again anytime soon!
Bagheera's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

That is really good news! I am glad she is feeling better. Antibiotics are not good for me either. The only thing that helps me is plain yogurt and probiotics when I take them. In the past I have mixed probiotics with my cats wet food when they have to take antibiotics. It seemed to help.
Jetlaya67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Not to rain on the parade but the food you are feeding her probably isn't helping UTIs and stuff. You said you switched from purina pro plan to Iams... Well that really isn't a switch for the better its more like going from bad to worse.... Read your food label and you will see a million things in it that shouldn't be in it.... Like byproducts or corn of any kind and other mystery ingredients. However the wet food is a grand idea I just wouldn't recommend Iams ever... All of us here can help you in the cat nutrition department MUCH better than any Vet could

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think you will find that your cat will prosper on a better diet of canned food that has no grains in it (no corn, rice, wheat, barley soy). Here is a very good website that will tell you why dry kibble really isn't that great for cats.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I think you will find that your cat will prosper on a better diet of canned food that has no grains in it (no corn, rice, wheat, barley soy). Here is a very good website that will tell you why dry kibble really isn't that great for cats.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement