Is my cat depressed or sick? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Is my cat depressed or sick?

Hey guys,

My buddy hasn't been himself in A few days. He always ran up to me when I got home from work but lately he hides from me whenever I get home. Its not normally like this. He's about seven months old, so still a kitten I guess. The other day I came home from going out and I found that he had coughed up a small pile of dry cat food. He also doesn't want to play all of a sudden. All he does is sleep. He used to go about 100mph through the house, but now he just stalks my hallway, he just won't get up and dash. We all love him so much and we give him extra hugs and kisses and belly rubs, but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. His litter box is always kept clean on a daily basis and he always gets fresh water to drink. He doesn't even purr that much anymore. If you touched him, he'd turn into a diesel engine.

He's had all of his shots and medicine too. Is he sick? I'm not sure what to do. I just hope he's ok.

Last edited by CGAlex22007; 12-20-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: I added some pics.
CGAlex22007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Is he using the litter box? Has he been sick again? What exactly are you feeding him? Sorry for the questions but it sounds as if it might be a digestive problem.
Arianwen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

He still uses the litter box. The other day I scrubbed it out with hot water and a little dish soap. No other chemicals what so ever. It gets dumped and new litter is bored in about every 3 weeks. I scoop everyday. I'm a neat freak and I like to keep his area tidy.

As for his food, he's eaten Meow Mix since I picked him out. He gets wet food as a treat since he refuses to eat packaged treats. It's usually the Fancy Feast cans or the Whiskas pouch wet food.
Attached Thumbnails
Is my cat depressed or sick?-418362_10150964511101825_996375471_n.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Sudden change in behaviour usually indicates health issue. I think it's best if you can have your vet take a look at him, and maybe do a blood test.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

he is beautiful!

does he eat like before? does he use his litter box at the same frequency more less?

I agree with previous comment - sudden changes in behavior can be related to health issue. if he was mine, I would take him to the vet, better be safe that sorry. And Christmas is coming up, i am sure regular vet clinics will be closed beginning next week. If he gets worse (hopefully not), then you might be facing trip to emergency vet, it will cost you more. (I am just thinking here and I have to admit, I tend to be overprotective of my family, including my cats )
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
he is beautiful!
Thank you He's my little buddy and I'm love sooo much. My friends think I'm nuts because I'm always taking pictures of him and flashing them off to them. I also baby talk him. "Who's a little cutie? You! That's who!"

I haven't really noticed a litter box change. Its more behavioral than anything. He's getting fixed on the 4th and I think my vet throws in blood work with the cost. I think it's $200.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

A little update.

Just gave him is regular meow mix back and he chowed down like never before. I did try to play with him with his feather wand, but he doesn't want to play. He just wants to sleep.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I would get him to the vet sooner than later.... and then you may want to re-evaluate what your feeding him because Im sure it doesnt help his digestive upset....

Heres the ingredient list off your bag right?
ground yellow corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, beef tallow (preserved with mixed tocopherols), animal digest, calcium carbonate, turkey by-product meal, salmon meal, ocean fish meal, phosphoric acid, choline chloride, salt, potassium chloride, titanium dioxide (color), vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate [source of vitamin B1], riboflavin supplement [source of vitamin B2], pyridoxine hydrochloride [source of vitamin B6], menadione sodium bisulfite complex [source of vitamin K activity], vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (ferrous sulfate [source of iron], zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), taurine, yellow 6, yellow 5, red 40, blue 2, rosemary extract.

Everything in BOLD is bad in that food. Anything that has by products is a mystery meat. Meaning it could be anything from chicken feet to random road kill. Not good. Corn is also not digestible for a cat. They are a carnivore right? Meaning they eat meat. Natural meat.... Not byproducts. A lot of people on here Im sure have good suggestions for you including me. Just going over the health and nutrition section you will find a lot. Feeding him this food could be contributing to is upset tummy. Theres much better things you can buy with your money

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

What kind of food would be best do you think? I can go to the pet store tomorrow.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAlex22007 View Post
As for his food, he's eaten Meow Mix since I picked him out. He gets wet food as a treat since he refuses to eat packaged treats. It's usually the Fancy Feast cans or the Whiskas pouch wet food.
Have you tried him with another brand of dried. I seem to remember about ten years ago that I was feeding Meow Mix to a stray and then I challenged him with another brand by putting out some of each. The Meow Mix was left untouched. These days I feed a stray Purina Dried Friskies. He prefers that over Science Diet (free gift from SPCA with adoption) and Evo dried. Just a thought that may not mean a thing.
Advertisement