raw goat's milk for cats? - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Are the powdered milks actually good??? I've always wondered what those were like

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Yes, I personally find it good, and at least on goat's milk I don't get the runs. The cramping stomach and diarrhea is unbearable when on cow's milk. Anyway, I have tasted various brands available and stick to those with taste close to the milk I had at the farm. Milk from the farm had to keep refrigerated and once opened will have to be consumed within 5 days or something like, I don't quite remember. While goat's milk powder, I can make milk as and when I want and a can of it usually last me 1mth or so.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks Ali_1010 for the information, and straight from someone rearing goat. I wonder if the milk powder is any different from raw. I never read the ingredients on the can of goat milk powder, neither have it crossed my mind to ever think of feeding it my kitty.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

So is there a nutritional difference between the powdered and the stuff in the cold section?? sorry I'm asking so many questions about powdered milk... It makes me curious....

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I've never had goats milk, but I too am lactose intolerant and I buy lactaid milk. Works best for me. Soy milk even gives me problems
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Ali_1010 thank so much for such a detailed explanation i see we have goat's milk expert here

BTW where do you live? by any chance southern united states? then I will buy goat's milk from you!

ps. i love love love the names of your cats!

Last edited by marie73; 12-21-2012 at 02:36 AM.
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
So is there a nutritional difference between the powdered and the stuff in the cold section?? sorry I'm asking so many questions about powdered milk... It makes me curious....

umm...I am curious too, and I'm not even sure if those milk or milk powder are even fortified, to make them more nutritious.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I used to hand-milk goats. I think the smell varies according to what the goat has been eating - if they've got at silage avoid it like the plague! The texture described doesn't sound right, though.

Recently, I was reading that the number of cats with lactose intolerance has been considerably over-estimated. It seems that it is much more common occurrence in Oriental breeds and mixes rather than in the general cat population. I have never had a cat with this problem thankfully.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Cat

According to several sources on the Internet I read last night instant non fat powdered milk is no different than regular milk you buy in the refrigerated section of the store.... Besides an obvious fat difference depending on which you buy normally. Some actually went as far to say its better obviously because of the longer shelf life, cheaper, and you don't waste any like how you do with the liquid when it goes bad before you use it all.... And one said she wouldn't touch refrigerated milk because of how it's made.... Interesting.... I may be visiting the dry milk section of my store and see what that's all about... The sources also said powdered milk now a days you can't tell the difference... I read Country Fresh and Country Cream were the best tasting brands... country cream being the cheaper of the two.... Learn something everyday I guess!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
Ali_1010 thank so much for such a detailed explanation i see we have goat's milk expert here

BTW where do you live? by any chance southern united states? then I will buy goat's milk from you!

ps. i love love love the names of your cats!
You're welcome! Haha, i'm no expert, always learning! I live in CA, unfortunately. You may want to try Craigslist Farm and Garden Section, I always see advertisements for goat milk for sale.

Oh and thank you, hehe. :3 Their names are czech for "cat" and "frightened", so they're not too interesting.

Good luck!
Two leopard geckos: Fred and Wilma

Last edited by marie73; 12-22-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Ali_1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali_1010 View Post
Oh and thank you, hehe. :3 Their names are czech for "cat" and "frightened", so they're not too interesting.
I am Polish, Czech republic is our neighbor, that's why I feel so good about the names I thought they come from Russian

thanks for craigslist tip. will check it out!

Last edited by marie73; 12-22-2012 at 03:00 AM.
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement