raw goat's milk for cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default raw goat's milk for cats?

I recently visited our local pet store where I was looking for good quality wet cat food and people working over there were really enthusiastic about raw goat's milk for cats.

This is the product they carry:
Answers Raw Pet Food Company: ADDITIONAL - Raw Goat's Milk

does any of you have any experience and opinions about it?
I am wondering if it's worth to try.

thanks
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My cats refused to drink it. Maggie who loves anything dairy (milk, ice cream, sour cream, whipped cream, cheese you name it) actually recoiled from it. The texture is kind of weird (clotty and watery at the same time) and I think the green tea extract they use in it gave it a really funky odor.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
My cats refused to drink it. Maggie who loves anything dairy (milk, ice cream, sour cream, whipped cream, cheese you name it) actually recoiled from it. The texture is kind of weird (clotty and watery at the same time) and I think the green tea extract they use in it gave it a really funky odor.
Isnt milk bad for cats?? A lot of people say cows milk is bad. Wouldnt this be the same??

And that "funky odor" your smelling is probably goat.... If goat milk smells anything like goat cheese does its defiantly the goat smell coming through. You ever smelled a live one?? I used to show them in 4-H and they all have a very distinct nasty odor. I can smell it a mile away...

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Cow's milk contains lactose and many cats are intolerant. Goat's milk seems to be easier to digest. I wouldn't say milk is bad for a cat, but it's not something they should have regularly...just as a treat if they like it (goat or lactose free cow's milk).

And yes, I know what goat smells like and that wasn't what I was smelling. The Answers raw food also has a funky smell and I attribute both to the green tea. It's almost a vinegar type smell.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
And yes, I know what goat smells like and that wasn't what I was smelling. The Answers raw food also has a funky smell and I attribute both to the green tea. It's almost a vinegar type smell.
Hmm.... Thats weird... What about canned goats milk? Or is it no different than "raw"?

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am lactose intolerant, I had to take goat's milk but I kinda like it pure. I know it stinks to some, but I like it without any other flavour (choco or vanilla) added. I have tasted those from the goat's farm, but I usually buy the powdered ones cos milk can't keep long.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Are the powdered milks actually good??? I've always wondered what those were like

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Cat

as far as I am concerned both cow's and goat's milk contain lactose and that is a problem for lactose intolerant people and presumably cats.

deal with goat's milk is that a) it contains less lactose than cow's milk and b) in the raw form (not pasteurized), like that one I linked in OP, it contains also lactase, which is an enzyme that digests lactose. that's why raw goat's milk is supposed to be very easily digested. in addition goat's milk is very nutritious. or at least that's what The Answers says
Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Hmm.... Thats weird... What about canned goats milk? Or is it no different than "raw"?
it think it's different. raw is not pasteurized, that in cans is.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

My two girls LOVE goats milk. I raise and breed dairy goats, and raw milk is by far the biggest treat in this household. The dog and cats both get small servings almost every night.
The reason cats, dogs, lactose intolerant people can drink goats milk and not cows milk is the lactose. Unlike cow's milk, goat's milk does not contain agglutinin (lactose). It's completely different from cows milk is many other ways. Although it varies, depending on the breed of goat, they overall yield much higher butterfat and proteins than cows milk. They also contain a lot more "good bacteria", even after being pasteurized. Pasteurized milk, goat or cow, contains very very low amounts of good bacteria. Pasteurization is required by the USDA to sell milk that isn't for pet consumption. However, it kills off the very small amount of bad bacteria (granted the animal being milked is kept/milked in clean quarters) and the whole lot of good bacteria. "Ultra-pasteurization", which gives cow milk a three month shelf life, is extremely harmful in particular.
The "smell" that you're referring to, unless the product makers have added something else to the milk, probably means it came from a dairy with Toggenburgs. Toggenburgs (which I raise and breed) yield very high amounts of milk, however many people complain the milk smells and tastes "goaty". Even if mixed with other types of goats milk, the smell/taste makes itself known. Personally, I like the taste of Togg milk, although everybody is different. However, vinegar is not a normal smell attributed to goats milk, so it could be the green tea extract.

My personal suggestion is to incorporate raw goat's milk into your cat's diets. My dog (who gets the runs even if she has a strange treat) has never had any dietary issues with it, and I feel as though it helps their coats, eyes, energy levels, etc. Around the world, goat milk is prized because it is often attributed to being the "miracle food". I've heard of raw goat milk improving sickly people's vitality, goat milk soap helping people with eczema, and many other examples. However, instead of buying it from a company, see if there are any local farmers in your area? If you live in a city, this may be hard, but even in suburban areas people often have nigerian dwarf goats (they're like pygmies, only more refined looking, and used for dairy purposes) that they use as family milkers. Make sure to check out where the goats are living and being milked, and things you should make sure of are that they pre-wash the teats/udder (normally with a iodine/betadine and water solution) and that they post-dip the teats (normally with straight iodine/betadine, or there's a couple of spray-on solutions on the market). You can ask them if they filter too. I don't, and it never really makes a difference, or you could do it yourself with a coffee filter.

Another thing to consider is the breed of goat. If you want to put some weight on your cats, or give them a "sweet treat", go with nigerian dwarf milk. Depending on bloodlines, they typically overall have the highest butterfat percentage of any other breed. Next in butterfat would be nubians (floppy eared goats). Everything else is pretty much a level-playing field in terms of nutrition, just watch out for Toggenburg milk if you have picky kitties who you think won't like it!
A half-gallon around here costs about $7, but it varies geographically.
Goodluck!
Two leopard geckos: Fred and Wilma

Ali_1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement