What is better for a kitty treat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default What is better for a kitty treat?

I gave my kitties a few treats a day (about 10 cals worth, nothing major), but all the dried treats I have for them have corn in them. I am wondering, would kitty-made corn-based treats be better for them, or a tiny bit of canned tuna (I assume tuna, but I've heard conflicting things about this for cats)? I do not plan on ever feeding them human-food tuna as a meal, but maybe just as a treat. Thoughts?

Last edited by Merlin_Guinevere; 12-21-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added more
Merlin_Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I think that would be OK. But have you tried EVO treats? They are dried and don't have any corn or wheat in them. They are similar to their foods. It's really the only dried treat I have been able to find without corn or wheat.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I don't know if either of those things would be good on a daily basis, I guess it really depends how much the cat's getting and whether or not the cat reacts badly to corn. My gut tells me it's probably fine, but I wouldn't do it myself. You could always cook up some chicken (or other meat) and chop that into tiny treats.

There are some good treats out there. I've also bought the EVO ones which are crunchy, right now I have wellness treats (they are soft though).

I decided to go on a quest and find you a bunch of treats lol. Some are really good, some aren't, but they don't contain corn. You can look and see which you like the looks of. I didn't know if you only wanted crunchy so I'm including the textures:
Innova (I don't know the texture)
Halo (freeze dried and crunchy)
Natural Balance (soft)
Nature's variety Instinct (freeze dried)
Primal (freeze dried and soft)
Solid Gold (dehydrated)
Thrill (freeze dried)
Whole Life (freeze dried)
Zukes (soft)
Blue Buffalo (soft)
Bravo (freeze dried)
Cloud star (soft)
Evangers (freeze dried)
Felidae (soft)
Grandma Lucy's (freeze dried)

Crunchy ones are hard to find! I'd go with EVO if you want crunchy, or go to a store that sells good foods and look around to see what you can find. The store I go to always has kibble sample bags that you can take for free, I like to use those as treats for my dog, I don't know if they have them for cats but you can always ask if they have samples.
~Siameseifuplz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Siameseifuplz~ View Post
The store I go to always has kibble sample bags that you can take for free, I like to use those as treats for my dog, I don't know if they have them for cats but you can always ask if they have samples.
Samples are for people wanting to try new food not people looking to save money on treats. It costs money for everyone in the chain (manufacturer, distributor, store) to produce and manage "free" samples. Because of abuse many food companies are now limiting the number of samples a store can get. I'm sure it won't be long before they're eliminated all together.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The EVO treats are actually just the kibble in tiny bags that cost a whole lot more. You can buy their small trial size (not free samples) fairly cheap at most stores. It costs much less than buying the treat bags.

If you want crunchy treats, I would suggest buying the small trial size bags of good kibble and using them.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I bought Evo treats before, ET loved it (literally danced whenever I gave him this) but I find them way too expensive. Now, I buy Evo Salmon and Herring kibbles (1kg pack) and used it as treats and to entice him to eat his wet. I am also using Greenies dental treats and Nutragold Finicky kibbles as treats. I tried Zuke which ET likes too, its moist, not exactly soft.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I can vouch for the Whole Life brand pet treats. They're just chunks of freeze dried meat--the chicken flavor is 100% chicken meat, the beef is 100% beef, etc. That's about as simple as it gets.

Whole Life dog and cat treats of the same flavor are also totally identical, except the dog versions come in a larger bag... and I think they market more of their flavor varieties towards dogs than cats. You can ignore the marketing and buy their dog treats if you find them for sale at a lower price, or your pet store doesn't carry the cat versions, or whatever.

I've also given my cat the Evo herring and salmon treats; she liked those a lot too.
Flauros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement