Called Vet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default Called Vet

Called the vet about Petey's "cold". He is not sneezing as much, but the eye mucous discharge is not getting better at all.

The vet had said he had an upper respiratory infection that should run its course, but if it didn't I should call and they would prescribe something. My hubby kept saying it would be okay. Today he went out and while he was gone, I called the vet. Thought he would be mad, but he just said he thought it would get better. He even drove me to get the meds.

They prescribed Triple-B Opht Ointment (3.5 mg), and Zeniquin (1/2 of 25 mg tablet) both for 10 days. He laid semi-still for the first eye, and did better for the second eye. The pill was another thing. Ended up dropping it in his mouth and closing it. He then swallowed it without a problem.

He laid on his back in my arms for the next 5 minutes until my hubby came into the room, then he jumped up to go to him. I hope that was long enough for the ointment to absorb into his eye before he started rubbing them.
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Baz is the opposite - giving him pills is easy - eye drops are a nightmare!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My kitties just got over colds too. Sneezing, sniffling (I didnt know cats could sniffle), and eye discharge. I wiped their eyes several times aday with warm wash clths to keep them clean. Went through alot of washcloths!!! Thankfully they made it through!

Last edited by Penny135; 12-21-2012 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Posted to fast to complete.
Penny135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Petey had the sneezing for 2 months and the eye discharge for at least 6 weeks, so I figured enough was enough. He has also coughed from time to time since we got him in October. I attributed that to hairballs (which never came up). Now I wonder if it isn't all tied together. I should see after the 10 days of meds.
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I took my 11 week old kitty(Fritzy) to the vet today. She was sneezing alot. So they gave her some medicine called Clavamox. hopefully it stops the sneezing, if not then i might have to change the kitty litter.
hatchet2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Triple antibiotic ointment should clear it up right away. know that if a cat has a cold it is a virus. but can turn into other things like sinus infection, or go into the lungs or into the eyes. if you see green goop it is an infection and to treat it immediately. 6 weeks is a long time. I usually put triple antibiotic ointment in right away when I see my cats eyes starting to water and it clears it up right away.

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement