? for those who feed dry food - Page 4 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
I dislike this condemning of dry foods because it lays a guilt trip on the guardian/caregiver who may not be able to afford better, but who is able otherwise to give a cat a home.
Nice post, Jim. It seems to some fanatics, if you're not feeding raw, you're not doing the best you can and/or you're killing your cats. Actually, some people even post that. And most of us are doing the best we can.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Jim, it sounds as if you feed a bit of everything, like me.

I agree that the wellbeing of the individual cat is the ultimate importance.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
Nice post, Jim. It seems to some fanatics, if you're not feeding raw, you're not doing the best you can and/or you're killing your cats. Actually, some people even post that. And most of us are doing the best we can.
Agreed.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'll just mention I know 700+ cats on Kirkland dry food and Friskies wet that are doing great and living long lives. I stand by genetics being the most important factor in lifespan.

I'd be interested in the OP coming back and letting us know her budget a month on pet food and how often she'd like to feed wet, then we might be able to give better suggestions on brand to try.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
I dislike this condemning of dry foods because it lays a guilt trip on the guardian/caregiver who may not be able to afford better, but who is able otherwise to give a cat a home.
Thank you! I try to say this on every food topic but inevitably leads to certain people(who I won't name) butting in and saying that you are killing your cat by feeding dry. So what, the cat is better off dead then in a loving home where it's free fed dry? I think not. Everyone I know who owns a cat leaves out a big bowl of grocery store brand food out all day, they are perfectly healthy and very spoiled and loved. Thats all most people can afford and let me tell you, it is way better than being fed the same stuff and being locked in a cage at a shelter.

P.S. Orijen is great food... I am switching mine from blue buffalo to that and it's fantastic!
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel View Post
I'll just mention I know 700+ cats on Kirkland dry food and Friskies wet that are doing great and living long lives. I stand by genetics being the most important factor in lifespan.
I remember reading in another post, was it susan who says her cat lived to 23yo on grocery store brand? I really believe genetic is important, otherwise what else to explain all those kitties that ended up with kidney disease on kibbles only diet. Everybody says fishes and grains are "No, No" for cats, but I also know of some cats that were fed fishes and rice day in day out and lived to their ripe old age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3furbabies View Post
Thats all most people can afford and let me tell you, it is way better than being fed the same stuff and being locked in a cage at a shelter.
Yea! being locked up in a cage is worst off. Well, sometimes its not about affordability, I know of some very well-off friends, living in private estate, feeding their kitties friskies only and another one RC kibbles only, and came down with kidney problem years later. Don't think I am in a position to comment on what they wanna feed their kitties, but there are some people who just didn't think its worth splurging on their pets. Well, there's no right or wrong, but at least they lived happily.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
You're forgetting Science diet. Even the stray I feed objected to that, although he ate it. He was hungry. I finally gave it to the neighbour for their chickens.

I'd argue that Science Diet isn't quite as bad as Cat Chow but it's still near it.

My adult cat refuses to eat wet food so she gets kibble and I try to entice her into drinking water as much as possible. I don't feed dry food to any other cat though. There's a decent amount of research that shows wet food is better for a cat. Their natural diet is high in moisture. Dry food is not.

I don't feed raw. It grosses me out. I have no interest in it and I probably never will.

I understand that some people can't afford the best of the best but there are some foods that are quite affordable and still good quality. I don't see anything wrong with kindly suggesting them. I find a lot of people aren't even aware of the various brands of food and their "quality". I'm sure cats will survive on the grocery store brand food though. Grocery store brand is certainly better than no food.

I avoid food with pea or potato protein. I'm aware it's used to boost protein levels in food. Plant protein isn't really appropriate for cats in my opinion. I try to stick with foods that are low carb/high protein.

As far as I know, none of the foods I buy contain ingredients sourced from China. They certainly aren't manufactured in China. 2 of the brands are made in the US and the other brand in Canada.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #38 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I think I just heard 17 heads exploding over in the raw section.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I think I just heard 17 heads exploding over in the raw section.
That made me laugh out loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
3furbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #40 (permalink)
Premier Cat

It's a shame that a single person is actually doing MORE damage to their cause by cramming it down people's throats than any good they COULD do.

I agree with the RAW movement, but I also agree that people can only do the best they can (so long as they ARE doing the best they can). If that is Meow Mix then so be it. (I still cringe on the inside though)