Vet advice. Now I'm confused about food. - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Kitten

I think I was just getting stressed out because I didn't know what to do but now I can take that list and go kitteh food hunting. I've not heard of those brands or Blue Buffalo!

Thank you everyone for your replies and knowledge! I will let you know what I find
Shady Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cat Addict

New Zealand - the home of ZiwiPeak

i hope you can buy this there, or i might have serious reservations about their advertising.

i've also seen addiction cat food with a flavor of new zealand venison or brushtail. i think they might use kangaroo in some of their dry food. i haven't used either of these brands personally though. i was considering using addiction for a novel protein but fortunately just going grain-free worked out. it's pretty expensive, i don't know about the ziwipeak and/or dried food.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Cat

Others have given you good advice. Unfortunately it seems that most vets don't know/don't care about good pet nutrition. For over a year of cat ownership, I thought dry food was healthier and thought wet food was more of a "treat" to be used as a supplement to a dry food diet. So you're not alone in being confused and misinformed about a healthy kitty diet.

I feed my kitties Wellness Core wet, which they love and it's available at just about every pet store I've been in in the States...not sure if it's available in New Zealand, but generally, wet food is pretty much always healthier than dry, and you want to avoid foods with grain in them.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

I found grain-free which seems to be the best dry biscuit type thing we found. There is also one called original. Everything else that doesn't have by-products in it has grains in it. These two are the only ones I've found in the pets shops/supermarkets/vets around here.

Wet food is alot harder to find and we only managed to find ONE that doesn't have meat by-products and that is called Dine and even then it's only certain flavours.

I didn't find any of the brands recommended on here but I haven't looked on any online stores or anything. There is also a brand called orijen (I think!) that I need to check out and is only available online!!
Shady Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Lady View Post
I didn't find any of the brands recommended on here but I haven't looked on any online stores or anything. There is also a brand called orijen (I think!) that I need to check out and is only available online!!
Orijen is a great kibble but if your cat will eat wet food, it is best to stick with it.

Based on what I found on Google, there don't appear to be many brands of cat food sold in NZ that are found elsewhere. I mostly found crappy food like Hills, Purina, and Iams.