New here - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default New here

My name is Barbara and I just got a 9 week old kitten. I live in North Carolina. I'm not sure if I can post this here, but I have a problem with her. She has been having runny stools with mucus and blood in some of them and refuses to use a litter box. How can I get her to use the box and treat her. The place where I got her gave me worm meds which I am giving her. Other than that, she is playful and investigative, shows no signs of an illness.
cassie500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Some worm medications don't work well, if at all if they come from a pet store/supermarket. Did the medication come from a licensed vet? She should be checked out by a vet. When you go, take a fresh stool sample with you for testing. Runny stools with mucous may not be "worms" but caused by intestinal parasites like coccidia or giardia. You want to get this cleared up as quickly as possible in a young kitten. Buy an extra box at least. She may be more inclined to use it if you add some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter to both boxes. Sometimes kitties can get put off using a box if they get their paws dirty and try and clean the runny poo off themselves. If you notice her paws are dirty from stepping in her poo, do rinse them off with warm water, and dry them with paper towels for her. Hope you can get this straightened around soon.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author

Last edited by catloverami; 12-26-2012 at 04:49 PM.
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Welcome to the forum, cassie500!

On top of what catloverami said, please understand that kittens can dehydrate very quickly when they have runny stools - they can go downhill on the turn of a dime! This HAS to be avoided.

For now (translation: before you can get to a Vet) she should have wet food with a little extra water added. A little pure pumpkin (canned, but NOT pie-filling) added into the wet food could well help.

(If you need a suggestion for wet food, pick up some Fancy Feast - classic variety, not gravied - like these Classic Entrees: Fancy FeastŪ Gourmet Wet Cat Food | Fancy FeastŪ )

With bloody stool...it's Vet time!

Can you post the name of the "worm meds"?

Just what is this "place where you got her"?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement