Cat Sitting (very sick cat) - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You are a gem for trying so hard. This really has me churned up - Trixie who I mentioned as the reason I cancelled a holiday last year was also over 20 and what most of you call a calico. I keep thinking of her - I don't understand them how they could just leave her in this state.

Bless you!
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thank you for all of your kind words. This morning she met me in the kitchen which I considered a good sign. I gave her some cat food which she barely touched. So I gave her a little chicken and she ate some of that but then sat there looking at me like I was an incompetent cook. So I tried a different kind of cat food and she ate a little of that and walked out of the kitchen. Later, after going shopping, I tried giving her some cat milk. She drank a little but didn't seem hungry. Later I went back and tried some cat food, some chicken and finally some ham baby food. She liked the baby food and ate maybe 1-2 teaspoons of that. Not that much but it's the most I've gotten her to eat so I considered it a success.

If I go over and she is sound asleep should I wake her and try to get her to eat or leave her in peace? I'm thinking that once each day if she is sleeping and I can see that she is breathing I should just leave her alone. What do you think?
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

It sounds like she's taken to you. She has plenty of sleep time anyway, I'd say hello - and, see what happens...just make sure you have that jar of baby food handy!
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cat

I can't imagine going on vacation if one of my pets was very ill. First of all, it's completely unfair to ask someone else to deal with caring for a sick pet. That's your responsibility. Secondly, if I knew one of my pets was likely on their last legs, I'd want to enjoy what time I had left with them. You have every right to be upset with your friends.

That being said, you're doing an amazing job and deserve some kind of pet saint medal.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Sorry...BUT, that gets an OMG from me!

Change = stress for our little ones..........certainly, the last thing needed at this stage!
Hey, I'm a realist, that's what I would have done, not leave her with a pet sitter that doesn't know her and say "hey, she'll probably die before we get back, see ya!" Which is worse?

I guess I'm thinking of my cats. I move them around all the time so they really aren't stressed when in a new situation. If they could get personalized attention, I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone to take my sick kitty in their home during their last days if I couldn't be there.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I used to work in an Emergency Vet clinic so I've seen too many people try to keep their pets alive until the very last minute. One cat had it's rear legs going into rigor mortis WHILE IT WAS ALIVE, which you can imagine is excruciatingly painful.

I wouldn't want their last moments to be on a surgical table with their guts hanging out or in a cold kennel and staff rushing about. I just could NEVER do that to my animals. So far they all mine have had a peaceful home going. I just couldn't keep them alive for my own selfish reasons.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Well. it was back to the grocery today for more baby food. The first jar is gone with very little waste. She has shown very little interest in the moist cat food so I'm going to stick with the baby food.

Quote:
Hey, I'm a realist, that's what I would have done, not leave her with a pet sitter that doesn't know her and say "hey, she'll probably die before we get back, see ya!" Which is worse?
I think to PTS your cat so you can go on vacation would be worse. She doesn't appear to be in any pain and she is eating some so I don't think there is any reason for her to be PTS.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Eating some cat food and more baby food. She is a sweet kitty. Ignore the evil eyes, it is just the flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Cat Sitting (very sick cat)-sweetkitty.jpg  
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My god........she's spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!

,,,and SHE is 20??????? Holyyyyyyyyyy!

Go girl, GO
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh, this something I would never even consider. Iím very sorry about the cat and sorry that Iím not much help on these matters, but you are very kind to take it in. Iím glad its doing ok.

I had a friend leave a dog with me before going on a trip to Central America. He told me that there was something going on with the dog and to keep an eye on her. About two days later I looked at the dog and I swear that she somehow communicated with me, because I knew immediately that she was pregnant and grabbed a cardboard box and some old blankets. She was in the box before I was even done giving birth to 5 beautiful puppies.
builder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement