Cat Sitting (very sick cat) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Default Cat Sitting (very sick cat)

Weeks ago I agreed to take care of two cats while my friends went out of town for the holidays. Hours before leaving he stopped by to let me know that the older cat (20+) isn't well, isn't eating much and they don't expect her to live much longer. It is possible that she will die before they return. I am a little shocked and angry to be put in this position. I am going over multiple times each day and trying to coax her to eat. I hand fed her a little chicken but she hasn't been eating the cat food they left. My friends went on vacation and are not visiting family. Am I overreacting to be a little angry about this? Would you leave your cat in this situation to go on vacation? What do you suggest I try to feed her? Normally I would stick to the food left for the cats but if I can get her to eat anything I think that is best.

Last edited by marie73; 12-22-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

When Trixie took a turn for the worst last year when I was due to go away with my sister, my nephew and his family, I cancelled even though my insurance wouldn't accept an ill animal as a reason for not going. I paid our pet-sitter even though she then didn't need to come. I couldn't have let Trixie die without one of her people with her.

Obviously, if it had happened unexpectedly it would be a different situation but not in this instance.

You are wonderful for taking on this responsibility.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I would never leave my sick pets, especially if they were dying!

That's so sad.

maybe you could feed her anything easy to eat and digest like human baby food (in any grocery store in baby section look for little jars with meat. they should have turkey or chicken, just plain meat, apparently cats love it).

or cat milk? that you can get in any pet store.

good luck! let us know how is she doing.
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

of if she is refusing anything maybe just smelly tuna? or tuna water?
be sure she has fresh water near by.
what's her condition? is she walking, using litter box, but just not eating?
could you put her in separate closed room with food and litter box, so the other cat cannot come in. at least you could tell if she was using litter box and ate anything..

you are great person!
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
maybe you could feed her anything easy to eat and digest like human baby food (in any grocery store in baby section look for little jars with meat. they should have turkey or chicken, just plain meat, apparently cats love it).

or cat milk? that you can get in any pet store.
Quote:
maybe just smelly tuna? or tuna water?
Thanks for the suggestions. The last thing I want to do at this time of year is go shopping but I will get some cat milk, tuna and baby food tomorrow.

Quote:
what's her condition? is she walking, using litter box, but just not eating?
She is walking and I think, using the litter box. Today she ate a little chicken and a tiny amount of cat food. I tried heating it but that didn't seem to help.

She is a sweet calico cat and she purrs when I pet her. I keep telling her to hang in there because I don't know what I'll do if she dies before they return.
Janz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh Janz, do I ever feel for you and the position you've been left in.

To me, the one "saving grace" about all this is that this little one is in good hands with you. It's beyond sad that these people obviously consider her "just a cat".

I think that, were I in that position, I'd take on the mindset that I was the guardian - and deal with whatever might arise as I would with one of my own cats.....and, boy, when those people returned, they'd get a piece of my mind.

You know, EVEN if they had spoken about this when first asking you....

I'm boiling mad - and I'm nowhere near all this!!! I hardly think you're overreacting.

Meantime, if this cat has made it to 20+ with these people:
- darn good genetics...or,
- did she get to 20 just to spite them?....or,
- maybe they've done something right?
Time for an animal communicator! (I'd soooo love to know, I'm almost willing to pay for one!)
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I'd be ticked. I'd never leave if one of my boys was sick.

If I were in this situation I would just try to get as much food and liquid into that cat as possible. I'd just want it to live until they get home. I'd probably be getting it canned tuna in water and pouring tuna juice on canned cat food. It should't do any harm for a few days.

& Krissy - Janitor, KitterKat Club Enterprises
MowMow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Nope, I would never leave my cats with someone if they were dying, sick maybe, but not 20 and dying! Omg! If I were the owners, I probably would have had her PTS before I left for vacation so she would go peacefully and with get family around. Can you the cat to your place to watch it more closely?
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
...If I were the owners, I probably would have had her PTS before I left for vacation so she would go peacefully...
Sorry...BUT, that gets an OMG from me!

Quote:
...Can you the cat to your place to watch it more closely?
Change = stress for our little ones..........certainly, the last thing needed at this stage!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Janz, perhaps you can keep in touch over the holidays - and, 'till these losers return.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement