One of the cats puking frequently? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Default One of the cats puking frequently?

I noticed over the past two weeks one of my cats (I suspect its the long haired guy) is vomiting almost immediately after eating. Its only happened a handful of times over the last two weeks. He is still pooping fine and eating fine. He has not lost any weight and is still active and playful as usual. Both cats are fine actually. The kitten (8 months old) I notice will hack occasionally like hes trying to cough something up. Both have been to the vet in the last few months and the vet said they were healthy.

Their diets vary. If I feed the same food for more then a few days both lose interest. They get a few days of one quality kibble, then a few days of another quality kibble. I rotate between 3 brands and it does not bother their gut. They are on cheap canned food (half a can each a day watered down a bit). They will not eat the expensive stuff and even if they did I could not afford to feed it at 1 can a day split between them that would be over $40 a month in canned alone. They get different brands and flavors of canned it just depends where I am when I pick it up. Sometimes its walmart, sometimes the grocery store sometimes the pet store.

What could be causing this vomiting I thought maybe he was eating to fast? The one time he puked all down my TV screen (the dishes are on the tv stand so the dog cannot get at them).
squeekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Time to take a closer look at the "puke"...

Is there hair in there?

Is there undigested food in it?

Is it slimey?

Now, you say that the long-hair cat is vomiting....do you "brush" him? That itself can prevent too much ingested hair from blocking things up.

If you're not "brushing" - or, perhaps even if you are, consider using a comb. Here's the style of comb I use
Amazon.com: Jardin Pet Dog Comb Grooming Shedding Hair Brushes, Purple: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Jardin Pet Dog Comb Grooming Shedding Hair Brushes, Purple: Pet Supplies
...sometimes they're to be found in the dog grooming area of a pet store. You want small, and not fine-tooth (flea type)

When "brushing", I hold the comb so that it's horizontal (vertical positioning catches and pulls causing discomfort and, also can scratch the skin...not at all desirable). Many cats resist all this, so patience is key, starting with tiny "pleasurable" strokes with the brush handle around the cat's neck area. Geesh...one could probably write a book on all this!

You might want to take a closer look at prices of large cans (12-13oz) of wet foods...quite frankly, they are cheaper per ounce - or, at least the same - as/than many of those 3 and 5 ounce varieties. And, about the "not liking" part: remember, cats resist change - so, adding just a little of the new into the wet foods they're used to, then gradually increasing that amount often does the trick for "change-overs".

Anyways, back to the top of the page...what's the puke composed of?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Time to take a closer look at the "puke"...

Is there hair in there?

Is there undigested food in it?

Is it slimey?

Now, you say that the long-hair cat is vomiting....do you "brush" him? That itself can prevent too much ingested hair from blocking things up.

If you're not "brushing" - or, perhaps even if you are, consider using a comb. Here's the style of comb I use Amazon.com: Jardin Pet Dog Comb Grooming Shedding Hair Brushes, Purple: Pet Supplies ...sometimes they're to be found in the dog grooming area of a pet store. You want small, and not fine-tooth (flea type)

When "brushing", I hold the comb so that it's horizontal (vertical positioning catches and pulls causing discomfort and, also can scratch the skin...not at all desirable). Many cats resist all this, so patience is key, starting with tiny "pleasurable" strokes with the brush handle around the cat's neck area. Geesh...one could probably write a book on all this!

You might want to take a closer look at prices of large cans (12-13oz) of wet foods...quite frankly, they are cheaper per ounce - or, at least the same - as/than many of those 3 and 5 ounce varieties. And, about the "not liking" part: remember, cats resist change - so, adding just a little of the new into the wet foods they're used to, then gradually increasing that amount often does the trick for "change-overs".

Anyways, back to the top of the page...what's the puke composed of?
Just looks like food. Some canned/dry. Sometimes its just canned. I do see the occasional hairball around but these dont look like hairballs.

I brush my cats all the time and bath them when needed
squeekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Do they go outside? They may be eating grass, which will cause vomiting. Also, did the weather change recently? Get really hot or really cold? My old cat sometimes has stomach problems when that occurs which normally clear up within a month.

Maybe they are eating too fast, in which case, you could try smaller, more frequent meals.
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Actually this is pretty common with my cats. If they are eating, drinking and using the litter box and everything else seems normal I would not worry too much about it. When they start to get lethargic, are not eating and drinking THEN it's time to worry.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

two weeks is not all that long but one of my cats would vomit every single time if i gave her more than a tablespoon of food at a time. that went on for at least 8 months with me feeding her about 8 times a day until my vet said it might be IBD.

he wanted to put her on science diet and i had already bought a lot of grain-free foods so i tried them first and it worked. that and eliminating dry food.

i don't enjoy spending all my money on cat food either but check out the 12.5 oz. cans by the case. it really does work out to be similar in price, although if you're buying dry food at walmart, it won't be cheaper. you could even try 50:50 with cheaper canned food and more expensive. trust me, it's worth it. i decided it was a grain allergy (or intolerance) because she threw up merrick granny's pot pie and sure enough, grain.

you can save by using wood pellets for litter too. it's kind of an even exchange for me, i stopped spending about $70 a month on tidy cat and now i get 40# for about $5.

since this just started, it might be an intolerance that you can rectify by changing food. the longer it goes on, the more chance you have of something serious developing.

you could also try (maybe) (people think i'm crazy for doing it) making your own cat food. there are a few supplements to buy at first but they're not very expensive and they last a long time. you can't do it cheaper than buying the cheapest food at walmart but you can do it for less than the high-end canned.

(oh and my cat was fine too except for the vomiting if i let her eat too much at once.)
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Did you change food lately. I have a long list of dry food I cannot give me cats because several of them will routinely vomit it up for what seems like no reason. Also, you should try giving your cat laxatone once a week or so to help him pass hairballs; sometimes vomiting is because there is too much stool in the gut and often this is because of mild hair impactions.
LaurulFeatherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement