Heartbroken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Heartbroken

We lost our kitty yesterday very suddenly. We are devastated and confused. He has been sick since we found him and we've had him vet to vet. He always had a hard time breathing. It started to get to where he wouldn't play. He started peeing outside the litter box. No vet could figure out what was wrong. We took him in the vet yesterday and he was rolling around on the table and purring and then they took him to the back to test him for leukemia. I heard him crying. After a half hour they came back with him and he was breathing harder than I've ever seen. She said they couldn't take his blood because he started to breathe so hard and they didnt want to scare him. They took his X-ray and she said there looked like there was some fluid on his lungs. She said she wanted us to bring him back Wednesday so they could keep him all day and test him. We left the vet and on the way home he continued breathing hard but he rested his head on my arm and slept. Once we stepped in the door he slowly walked out of his cage and threw up. He started shaking and breathing hard and drooling. I called the vet but they were already closed. He started making terrible crying noises and breathing heavily. He went under the bed and cried and drooled and rolled around like he couldn't get comfortable. It was the longest minutes of my life. And then he was gone. I held his body after he passed and wept. I'm so heartbroken and I just want answers. I feel like its my fault that I took him to the vet. What caused his death? He was only a couple months old. Please help me
xLacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It sounds like FIP to me.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

There's no known cause, and no treatment or cure. You did nothing wrong. At least this little guy was loved during his short life, which wouldn't have happened had you not found him and taken him in.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
http://www.catforum.com/forum/member...signature2.jpg
marie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It sounds like FIP to me.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP)

There's no known cause, and no treatment or cure. You did nothing wrong. At least this little guy was loved during his short life, which wouldn't have happened had you not found him and taken him in.
I was about to say what Marie beat me to. I had a tiny one I lost last year in October to FIP and it was devastating to us as well. We tried very hard to save him, but he just would never fully recover. Don't blame yourself. You did the best you could have and despite your best efforts, it was his time. I always try to remember that the most important thing is that during their short lives, they knew someone loved and cared for them. That is the very best gift we can possibly give them and ourselves.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Oh no how sad. RIP kitty. Condolences on the loss of your kitty. It's sad to hear kitties go so unexpectedly like this.
Kitty-The-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I am so sorry for your loss. That is a devastating experience to go through. You did the very best you could for your baby, the rest was out of your hands.
Ms. N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Ahhh, poor kitty, seems he didn't have much of a chance from the beginning. It's possible it was FIP, or could have been a heart defect. Don't blame yourself, you did everything you could to try and save him. Unfortunately, not all kitties make it. So sorry for you and kitty.

"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
catloverami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry for your loss
It's so hard to lose a pet so young and unexpectedly.
This is not your fault. As others have said, you did everything you could for him. Some things we just can't control.
Your kitty was lucky to have you.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

I'm so sorry.

You did everything you could, and at least he got to spend the last leg of his short life being loved and cared for rather than scared and alone. Take solace in knowing you did all you could, and most importantly, you gave him love.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

So so sorry Lacie. Such a sad loss. Please don't blame yourself. You did everything you possibly could. Loves, hugs and my deepest sympathy to you and your family. God Bless you.
catztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Someone in my family mentioned a heart defect and FIP. It's heartbreaking to remember him crying for help and we couldn't do anything. I held him after he was gone. My fiancÚ is heartbroken which makes it that much harder. We try to think about how he wouldn't have survived as long as he did if it wasn't for us but its hard. I'd give anything to have him back. My fiancÚ, Matt, thinks it would help him to get another fur ball to save but I'm just not ready. Here's some pictures of our precious baby taken from us too soon.

xLacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement