Poorly Kitty - Broken Femur - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Sharkie&Sparx Mum- how did things turn out when you returned for the re-check? "What's the word"?
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

Hi Stryker,

The vet said his leg has an infection and he needed to go back on antibiotics. As he's fighting the infection, he would leave him on the Metacam and I was to mention it to the Vet when I took him back again today for re-assessment.

But the Vet did agree that he shouldn't be on it for long, but he did say he didn't know of another pain killer he could give him because of his leg (sounds like I was fobbed off).

I then had to take him back several hours after that visit as Sharkie was also given a collar to wear which he took to straight away. But he tried to get it off and got his front leg caught in it (no idea how) so he flipped out which led to his leg to his leg bleeding from the infected pin tract.

Anyway I'm off to the Vets in just under an hour so fingers crossed the Metacam changes and his infection is clearing up.

Thanks for asking after him.
Sharkie&Sparx Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Buprenorphine is regularly prescribed for cats and doesn't have such adverse side effects. However, I have been prescribed Metacam for my cat for a week and he suffered no ill effects.

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2012 at 10:12 PM.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks 3gatos for you reply.

I did mention the Metacam to the Vet this morning and she said it was fine (I was warned she would say this). But she did say I could stop giving it to him and see how he goes without it, so I'm going to do this and see.

On the plus side she said the weeping from his leg was clear and not ***** at all which was good. She said it was probably weeping as he was active (even though he's on cage rest) and the pin was probably irritating the soft tissue when he moved. She was also pleased he was using the leg when walking.

Fingers crossed the last of the vets visits until the 9th January (4 weeks post op) when I see the orthopedic vet who did the surgery.
Sharkie&Sparx Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cat

sounds really good to me---for what it is worth!! go kitty!
artiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie&Sparx Mum View Post
...I did mention the Metacam to the Vet this morning and she said it was fine...But she did say I could stop giving it to him and see how he goes without it....
So, it's Metacam or nothing, then?

OK,.........perhaps, if you were read through some of these stories: http://metacamkills.com/ where all of those Vets thought it was "fine", too.

Quote:
...But the Vet did agree that he shouldn't be on it for long, but he did say he didn't know of another pain killer he could give him because of his leg (sounds like I was fobbed off).
Sharkie&Sparx Mum, if you think you'd be able to place a few drops of a liquid into the sides of Sharkie's mouth, then you would be able to administer a safe pain medication to him. The drug is buprenorphine. It's a narcotic, used widely for cats, and given out in tiny syringes. It's not to be swallowed, but it gets taken up by the mouth tissues...only a few drops are needed, 2-3 times a day.

Vets are a "funny" lot, and those in the UK seemingly more so. God forbid that any mere mortal should utter anything that would hint of concern or doubt about their pronouncements. There are workarounds for most things, though, and Vets are no exception....."You know, Doctor, I'd be happier/really prefer if Sharkie had xxxx instead....our friend's cat had a problem with Metacam, and I couldn't deal with that if anything were to happen..."

Anyways, whatever you do, I wish you two the very best.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I really don't like this vets answer on the Metacam. You need to be aware that the drug manufacturers go to great lengths to "educate" and introduce vets to their particular brands. I mean all of them, not just Metacam.

I don't want to scare you, but IMO the use of Metacam is unnecessary and irresponsible in most cases. You and your cat will be the ones suffering through CRF if things go poorly. There should be safer options made available to you. There are several on the market. You might want ask specifically for something else - "my way or nothing" seems pretty closed- minded. Please take a look at this site http://www.metacamkills.com/

(Note - I hope putting the link here does not violate any rules. I'm new. But I think this is important.)

Cage rest is never easy for any cat. I might try removing a small area of cardboard and seeing if he calms down. He might simply be feeling too claustrophobic?
Tomcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

"Vets are a "funny" lot"

Truer words were never spoken.
Tomcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Kitten

Good Lord I never knew metacam was SO bad for cats!!!!!!! When Lily had a broken leg she was on it for seven MONTHS!!!!!! She was only around two years old tho' so perhaps any damage didn't show? My other girl Misty, 17yo, was pt on it for arthritis in her foreleg and whilst it seemed to work (ie ease her limping and stiffness) it also made her stools all bloody!!! I stopped it the second I saw that!

This thread has been an eye-opener and there's NO WAY i will ever let a vet dose any of my future cats with metacam.

TBH I've been thinking about finding a better - more cat friendly - vet just in case things ever go wrong with George & Suzi. The last time I was at my current one I saw the new female vet and she casually dismissed my words about Misty being a lot quieter, sad almost, because we had lost our other cat the previous week (Nina to an epileptic fit). She said cats don't miss other cats because they're not pack animals! I just looked at her and thought ''You're really NOT a cat person, are you!''

Good luck with Sharkie (((HUGS))) My girl Lily in my avatar came to me with a broken leg and was on cage rest in a 4ft dog crate for around 5 months. In the evenings I would take her out and have her next to me on the sofa but the rest of the time she was in the crate. She hated it at first and would mew pitifully at me every time she caught my eye but she HAD to stay in there. I kept saying ''It's only for a short while compared to your whole life ahead of you sweetheart'' and that's the way you need to look at it. A little bit of cage rest and soon Sharkie will be up and about and charging around like a mad kitten once more.

Lily after her 2nd op

April 2012: feet filthy from being outside!

How to wind Daddy up - climb up on his car!
Gillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #20 (permalink)
Kitten

It just came to me this morning....it wasn't metacam Lily was on but LOXICAM (or loxicom?). Stupid me!!!!
Gillykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement