Recurring urinary infection... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Thumbs down Recurring urinary infection...

I have taken my cat to the vet twice these last two months. First time he was given an antibiotic shot which only helped a few days. I went back two weeks later and she checked him again. No crystal or blockage. Gave me antibiotic pills that I have to give myself. It was for two weeks. I gave him one weeks worth and he was totally fine. He has began going to the litter box often again. Could the bacteria not have fully gone away due to not finishing his antibiotics? I still have a weeks worth I am going to give starting today. He has urinated but still keeps going into his litterbox. I make sure he has water available at all times and am feeding him wellness healthy indulgences wet food.
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzkitty View Post
...Gave me antibiotic pills that I have to give myself. It was for two weeks. I gave him one weeks worth and he was totally fine. He has began going to the litter box often again. Could the bacteria not have fully gone away due to not finishing his antibiotics?...
Yes, it certainly could.

There are several problems here...

You've started the antibiotics again....which means that they will most certainly "mask" the true nature of the infection...so, IF your Veterinarian were NOW to attempt to find out exactly which bacteria is present (by doing a "culture" of the urine....which should have been done to begin with - perhaps it was, that is unclear), the culture test may be unreliable.

It's difficult to say what's best as a result. I think, though, that you should probably continue with the meds - BUT, as soon as you possibly can, speak with your Vet and explain everything as you have here. Given that the second prescription you were given seemed to be clearing things up, she might continue with that "type" and give you more of it.

I think it would also be helpful for you to understand more about the first antibiotic your cat was given...most likely it was "Convenia". There have been some very worrysome outcomes from the use of this. It's popularity comes strictly from convenience....convenient for you, avoidiong the unpleasantries of medicating a cat...but, often enough, hazardous for the cat. Convenia is licensed in cats specifically for skin infections - not as a "general-purpose" antibiotic. A well-respected Veterinarian has some strong words - and cautions - about Convenia right here Convenia: Worth the Risk? by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: Long-acting antibiotic for cats that can have serious side effects If you read through there, you'll also hear about the importance of doing these urine cultures prior to prescribing willy-nilly - why it's so important to match the a/b to the particular bacteria.

Hope some of this helps.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

The second time I went she gave an injection of prednisone acetate and the medicine she gave that I have left is baytril 22.7mg...is that too high of a dosage for 15 lb cat?

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2012 at 10:11 PM.
mizzkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Nope! It's a little less than what the maximum would be (34mg).

So, that first injection - prednisolone - wasn't an antibiotic, but, a steroid used as an antiinflammarory. Sorry to have "gone on" about the Convenia - a best guess based on what was known.

UTIs can be very hard to eradicate, so longer-than-usual dosings are to be expected. For Baytril, the max recommended duration is 30 days - but, some cats require even longer.

Just curious, was an urine culture ever done?

Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Nope. The vet checked for blockage felt his belly and checked his private areas and told me he does not have crystals. His bladder was also not full for her to do testing. She told me that he is obviously urinating but it just might be somewhere besides his litterbox. After the second appt he was fine and even two days ago was urinating normally so that is why I am assuming it is because I haven't complete led his round of medication. I stopped it maybe 4-5 days ago.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat

Sorry to seem mean.....but NEVER stop a course of antibiotics, for you or your cat, halfway through, even if the symptoms have gone.

ALWAYS complete the course....unless there is an adverse reaction, in which case you need to see vet immediately.

What you have likely done is kill the bacteria most susceptible to the antibiotic, very possibly leaving those which were resistant anyway, to breed back up to numbers which cause symptoms again. Thus you have likely created a more resistant set of bugs to trouble your cat.

I'd be contacting vet again immediately in case they want to change the antibiotic for this reason.

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2012 at 10:12 PM.
dlowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes I understood that part about the antibiotics. I gave it today and I will cat the vet tomorrow to get her opinion.

Last edited by marie73; 12-25-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat

Oh good.....sorry to have belaboured the point.
dlowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I'm a little confused about what tests were actually done... Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like your vet did not have a urinalysis done? Or did they do a urinalysis but not culture it for bacteria?
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement