Canned Food Hype Is Myth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat

Default Canned Food Hype Is Myth

There was a supposed pet nutrionist on the local news here today. She was taking calls from pet owners and one of them had a question about what she thought of feeding canned food to cats primarily.

The nutrionists' answer was ' The whole movement to feed cats wet food only is not only detrimental to their health,but also a complete myth.' She also went on to say 'This whole movement started with those who promote raw feeding,and that 'she is tired of people being misinformed and slowly killing their pets'.

I didn't agree with her,but found her claims interesting.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Not canned, not raw, she advocate kibbles? If kibbles, then think we all know where she is coming from? SD spokeswoman? educated by SD, like the vets? Oh no! I'm jumping into conclusion, lol.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat

She must have been one of the vets who graduated at the bottom of her class. Truly sad.
JustOneMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharrissc View Post
There was a supposed pet nutrionist on the local news here today. She was taking calls from pet owners and one of them had a question about what she thought of feeding canned food to cats primarily.

The nutrionists' answer was ' The whole movement to feed cats wet food only is not only detrimental to their health,but also a complete myth.' She also went on to say 'This whole movement started with those who promote raw feeding,and that 'she is tired of people being misinformed and slowly killing their pets'.

I didn't agree with her,but found her claims interesting.
I'm a Purina pet nutritionist (had to for school) - and don't listen to anything I was "taught". Trust me, I learned barely anything that was the actual truth, it was a lot of what Purina formula to feed for xxx problem. Never listened I feed mostly raw with and a little canned, the total opposite of what they "teach" is good.

My teacher (real life teacher, not the online Purina course) claims she knows everything about everything. Considering what she knows about nutrition and overall health - I don't think she knows much at all - could have just as well been at the bottom of her class. A lot of "dry food is the best", "cats need carbs", "canned food is bad",....if only she knew
furryfriends251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Did this person say what their credentials were? I really doubt there are any legal requirements for using the title "pet nutritionalist".
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm a Science Diet "nutritionist" had to take their class for work. It consisted of 8 hours of corn is good, science diet is the best, feed that and it will solve all of your pet's ills. I don't feed Sci Di and my dog and cats also get raw.

A bunch of Science Diet people came to our store, some from out of state their head hanchos. They asked me what I fed my dog, I told them we were having problems finding the right food because he was a chronic vomiter and had diarrhea a lot. They suggested Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. I told her that I had tried a 5# bag of science diet once and my 1 year old herding breed dog got constipated half way through. I asked what I should do then? She didn't have any suggestions. Guess they don't know everything (anything).
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

No she didn't go into what her credentials were. She just said that she was a certified pet nutritionalist. She's not a vet,but says that she 'has relationships' with several clinics and will provide her services to pet owners. I am thinking she is linked to SD some how,or maybe another company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd View Post
Did this person say what their credentials were? I really doubt there are any legal requirements for using the title "pet nutritionalist".
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3gatos View Post
I'm a Science Diet "nutritionist" had to take their class for work. It consisted of 8 hours of corn is good, science diet is the best, feed that and it will solve all of your pet's ills.
Is brainwash legal in the States? It's so funny! I wish I can take that class as well
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

^^^ everything is legal in the US unfortunately and that lady really makes me mad sayin "canned food hurts their health" never in my life..... If that lady can call herself a pet nutritionist then all of us might as well start advertising on Facebook or something that we are pet nutritionists haha

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Oh by the way who is your local news station??

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement