Too much pee? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Too much pee?

Can there be a problem with too much pee? I am using Pee Wee litter which is wood pellet and PW 2 layer litter box. This morning, I look into ET's box, saw that the box was full with sawdust. Checked the lower box and was surprised, it's just 5days and already full of sawdust.

Cats on wet food, don't drink much. I noticed for sometime since switching to 90% wet, that the water fountain is still full of water, so, ET is only drinking very little per week. Though I do add water into his wet, but its just at most 20ml water. How on earth, did he get so much pee, when he didn't even drink that much. It happen only this time. Previously, pee volume, I should consider normal. He is still playing and eating well, and certainly not drinking alot of water.

Last edited by snowy; 12-27-2012 at 09:31 PM.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

remember that canned food has a lot of water in it, i don't know the percentage and i'm too lazy to look it up right now, but just guessing i'd say it's considerable.

i never heard of pee wee but i use wood pellets. i didn't buy a special box so i have to reverse scoop the sawdust, and i have to do that at least every other day, but i have three cats, 2 lg. booda domes. i go through about 40 lbs. a month, a little less.

you will always have more sawdust than volume of pellets because they expand and disintegrate when wet. full after five days i wouldn't be concerned about, unless the box is as big as a bath tub.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Thanks cinderflower, I forget to note that wet food has quite high percentage of moisture too. I have only 1 cat, 19lb of wood pellet lasted me approx 7mths, that is less than 3lb per month. 40lb per month is equivalent to about 13lb per cat, that's really high, isn't it?

This is the Pee Wee system I use http://www.peeweenederland.nl/en/peewee-systeem.php
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Canned food is 78-80% moisture. Kibble is usually less than 12%.

It does note that having a pan full of saw dust is normal after about a week so I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I was going to say after 5 days I would expect the pan to be all sawdust. Mine is mostly dust after 3 days. But I had 3 cats as well. They have 2 boxes one they mostly use for poop and the other mostly for pee. The pee box was almost all dust in 3 days, LOL!
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I feed my cats cans and raw (and they rarely drink water). I have 2 cats but my litter box is more than twice the size of PW box you are using. My box has lots of sawdust for a week, so it seems your cat is not peeing too much. It's just the right amount for a wet-food eater

PS: 19lb for 7month/per cat is quite impressive. My 40lb bag lasts a little more than 2 month for my 2 cats, so that's like 10lb per month/cat. I'm wasting quite a bit by throwing away everything each week though.

Last edited by yingying; 12-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
yingying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi all, thanks for your input. I always thought it had to be WATER input to get Pee output, lol, forget to take into account moisture input from wet food. So, if everybody says its normal, then I am relieved.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
Thanks cinderflower, I forget to note that wet food has quite high percentage of moisture too. I have only 1 cat, 19lb of wood pellet lasted me approx 7mths, that is less than 3lb per month. 40lb per month is equivalent to about 13lb per cat, that's really high, isn't it?

This is the Pee Wee system I use PeeWee - Het nieuwe Zweedse kattenbaksysteem met een dubbele bodem!
oh it FIGURES!! the united states is so far behind some other countries when it come to those cute boxes for pellets.

one reason i think i use more is because they aren't separated, so they sit in pee if you know what i mean (the pellets, not the cats LOL) and i'm sure that makes them disintegrate faster. also, sometimes i throw all of it out (maybe once a week, maybe every two weeks, i go by my nose) but if there are a lot of partially expanded pellets, i throw those away occasionally because they aren't going to last as long.

mine don't really use one for #1, the other for #2, but they will favor one box more to pee in i think because it will be total dust in a couple of days.

another funny thing i noticed is that my youngest cat kind of LIKES it when there's a lot of sawdust because he likes to cover his poo with it LOL. i think it's crazy but whatever. it's his bathroom. the other two must be lazy because they're all too happy to poop and run.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Hi cinderflower, infact the sifter kinda litter box does help to save, cos what you throw out are sawdust in the lower tray. What are still in the top box, are still good, so nothing wasted, I just need to top up with new litter when the top litter gets lesser. For hygiene reason, I throw out everything on the top box once every 2wks and a thorough cleaning of the box once every month.

The sawdust are soft, I'm sure that explains why your youngest cat likes it?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

oh definitely. i think he wouldn't mind at all if i just made a box with all sawdust for him. they actually can pee on just the sawdust for awhile before it gets saturated, (i'm not sure how long) but i think that gets kind of nasty pretty fast.

i know how the boxes work, i just don't like the feline pine one they sell here. it's ugly and i think it's too expensive, plus it annoys me that they sell feline pine for so much more than just the eco-flame or firemaster pellets. there are other boxes that might work, (sifting) but some of them do and some don't, and i got tired of spending all my time thinking about litter boxes.

australia has OZpet, new zealand has Püssy-Do, and sweden has Pee Wee. i really, really like the OZpet ones, because they offer a covered model, but it's $60 and by the time i had it shipped, it would probably be $100. i'm pretty sure i'll end up making my own before i spend that much on a litter box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement