Vomitting - do you withhold food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Vomitting - do you withhold food?

Vomitting is common in cats and for many reasons, so I won't wanna ask about that. ET does vomit occasionally, mostly undigested food. Each time after vomitting, he begs for food again, so I have never withhold food, he usually eats like a pig after each vomit.

Last nite, his vomit was abit different. He vomitted 4 bouts after just a mouthful of wet food. 2 bouts of food (quite a lot), and then 2 bouts liquid (not foamy or clear). There was no change in his diet very recently. These are abit different from his previous vomit, so I thought I had better withhold food for at least 12hrs as what I have read in some website. But immediately after cleaning up, he started begging for food. Can't bear to let him starve, so I just offered 1tbs of kibbles, then left him alone in his room. 1hr later, I went back to check on him, he begged again for more food. Added 2tbs of kibbles. Then I was hoping that would last him through the nite and to give his stomach a break, though I knew he will be hungry again in the middle of the nite.

I was woken up by a commotion in his room at 2.39am. Checked on him, he actually threw the empty ceramic plate on the floor, breaking it, thank goodness he wasn't hurt. He begged for food again. Gave him just less than 1tbs of kibbles again, all these while wondering if I should give him any at all.

My question is, should I even be withholding food, when ET seemed hungrier after vomitting. Most website I read, says to withhold food for 12-24hrs.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

jsut throwing out my personal experiences here with vomiting. i never really know for sure when it happens if it's because she ate too fast, was stressed out because of the other cats, trying to just cough up a hairball, or what...

however, whenever she does throw up, i do usually give her something again right away (only if she actually threw up at least half her meal or so). but i odn't give her her normal food or kibble. i usually just boil up some plain organic chicken breast and cut it up into tiny pieces and add a little of the warm broth for her. i figure it's like giving a sick kid hot chicken soup. that always did wonders for me as a kid if i was sick.

good luck. hope ET feels better soon.
maggie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cat Addict

ET appears ok, not at all listless, still had his usual wet food portion at 6am. Didn't quite understand the cause of the vomit this time, its not the usual undigested food, not hairball, but anyway, he still eats like a pig. I had wanted to have ET rest his stomach, but he just won't tolerate hunger. He must be so mad that there was no food for him in the middle of the night that he threw his plate from the anti-ant tray for the 1st time in 1yr, breaking it. I usually will leave about a tbs of kibbles for him to eat in the middle of the nite.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

i usually just wait awhile, like 20-30 minutes and then give them another chance lol. my cats only do it when they eat too fast or i (silly me) give more than the original portion because he still acts hungry. my youngest eats super fast (he doesn't throw up often but he does so more than my other two, who practically never do), i mean SUPER, and then he would beg for me and sure enough, the carpet had to wear it. so now he knows i won't give seconds and just wanders off.

i don't know if cats get upset stomachs like people do, i suppose they would. i usually give a blander version of the original food, depending on what it was.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I with hold food until the next feeding if my cat vomits up his food. How did he break the plate? was it on the counter? Looks like he has become accustomed to begging for food and getting it. He definitely won't starve if you withhold for 12 hours. The frequent begging will begin to create a weight problem if you continually give in. It will only get worse.

My cats don't beg for food, they know when they eat and when it's gone, it's gone, even if they have only picked through their meal, I will take it up after 30 minutes. Since they know that, there is no begging, they know when their meal times are and when I go for the food, that's when they get excited, and everyone has to wait their turn until all the bowls are filled and I hand them out one by one. I make the bowls right in front of them on the floor.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Oh 3gatos, he gets meal and treats timing. He only begs when its meal and treat time and when I missed the timing. Every other time, I don't usually give in unless I know I didn't give enough earlier and he is still hungry, I will probably just give less than 10 kibbles.

That night, he only had 1 mouthful of wet and started throwing up. So, he didn't get any food into his stomach at all and having thrown up everything, his stomach was probably empty and he was hungry. What I gave him was certainly not enough for a meal, cos it was only 1tbs of kibbles. The 2nd time I gave him 2tbs, he was satisfied after eating and stopped begging. Middle of the night 1tbs kibble is also another habit that I have never break, so when he didn't find any food, he probably got mad? The ceramic bowl was on an anti-ant tray which is approx 1.5" above ground, so I suspect he used his mouth, grab the plate and fling it onto the ground, thus breaking it.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie23 View Post
i usually just boil up some plain organic chicken breast and cut it up into tiny pieces and add a little of the warm broth for her. i figure it's like giving a sick kid hot chicken soup. that always did wonders for me as a kid if i was sick.

That's pretty much what we do and it always seems to work. Sheeba has a weak stomach (she vomits a lot!), and it tends to be from eating the kittens' kibble really fast (she isn't allowed kibble for this reason). I normally give her a little raw beef (about half her normal portion) afterwards, then wait a few hours and give her a bit more. I also always refill/clean her water bowl, she always gulps down water right after and she won't drink it unless it is perfectly fresh.

Vomiting in cats is one way they regulate their stomach (hence the eating grass and getting sick), so it could be the ET is having problems digesting some of his food and he is throwing up to clear that out and try again (maybe try switching his food?). Good luck!
katbaalew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Maybe I should stock up chicken breast. I don't cook meat alot at home, I buy only when I wanna eat on that day. Just yesterday, ET vomitted again, but it looked like a tubular form of hairball. I have kinda stopped psyllium husk for at least 2weeks and he puked twice in 2 weeks, and I haven't seen fur in his poop of late, look like I have to start psyllium husk again and see how things go. But, he is always hungrier after each vomit, guess everything is still ok with him. Still play,doesn't look listless, eats alot more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement