Can cats stay in all night without litter box? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Can cats stay in all night without litter box?

I rescued two outdoor cats. They are indoor/outdoor cats. I have a litter box for night as I keep them in at night. I really have no good place for the box and I hate it. Is it safe to eliminate the box all together? Can they hold it that long and is it healthy for them. I am thinking 10PM to 7PM.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
I rescued two outdoor cats. They are indoor/outdoor cats. I have a litter box for night as I keep them in at night. I really have no good place for the box and I hate it. Is it safe to eliminate the box all together? Can they hold it that long and is it healthy for them. I am thinking 10PM to 7PM.
21 hours? i don't know, can you go 21 hours without peeing? i wouldn't risk it if i were you. even if you hate the litterbox you'll hate it more when they start peeing in the corner.
cinderflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

They will probably pee and poop all over your house.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Is it healthy for anything to hold its bladder for extended periods? Of course not. They start going on the floor or the bed. They get in habits that are hard to break. Be grateful they know to use a litterbox when they're indoor/outdoor cats. The one night I kept Blacky indoor only recently (Halloween) she made a move on my shoe after angsting around my room for a few minutes. I scooped her up and took her to the litterbox; which she knows the location of yet mysteriously didn't use until placed in it.

Along with the dogs Tara and Coco.
Carmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Did you mean 7 a.m.?

When my semi feral comes in just for the night (at the moment she's in a lot more than that) she has access to the litterboxes but rarely uses one. At the moment, she's been in for the last 14 hours and has used them. I wouldn't want her not to be able to use one if she wanted.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I scoop before bedtime and in the morning before leaving for work and there is always at least a pee ball per cat in the litterbox. I think giving them access to a box is not only good for their urinary health but also preventing possible issues with them using your house as a litterbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat

One of the beauties of owning cats as opposed to dogs is that they can use a litter box. You really need to get one unless you want to clean up after your cat on occasion. Everyone I know who has indoor/outdoor cats have litter boxes. I clean my grandmother's cat's litter box sometimes and it it always well-used!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I suspect you meant 10pm to 7am...but I agree with the other posters...I would provide a litter box for them overnight. If you don't like having a box out and you have no space, then why not scoop the box first thing in the morning once the cats go back outside and then tuck it away at the bottom of a closet or some other out-of-the-way place. That way, the box is only out overnight, and since you're sleeping anyway, you won't notice it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Can cats hold it. Probably some cats can; some cats can't. Zenobi was strange. I allowed her out on some warm days with the door open and she'd wander, but she always came in to use her litterbox. Then one day she came rushing home and I thought she'd been scared by something. But when I went inside there was a puddle alongside the box. She'd come rushing home to use her box and not quite made it. Thereafter she stayed closer to home.

You'd have to test your cats to find out.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I am sorry I did mean 10Pm to 7AM. Sometimes the box is not used until I feed them in the morning and I would prefer they just went out. I will provide one since I sure don't want them peeing in the house. Thank you for your answers.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement