I have a request - Please - Page 5 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #41 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats View Post
Hello Mitts,

I will definitely check that book out! If you are interested in history try to find a copy of "Ghosts of the Adobe Walls" by Nell Murbarger. It is fascinating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcats View Post

Have you done the Tombstone/Bisbee trip yet? If you do, try to stop in Fairbank along route 82 north of Tombstone. It's small, but very cool.

Also, have you been to Chiracahua, yet? Well worth the visit.

I ordered the book.
We love history of the area.
I have seen the PO in Fairbank!!!

Ive been to Bisbee but it breaks my heart because I see so many stray cats and dogs running free all over town. The whole area of Bisbee and Tomestone do not have a decent rescue or TNR that I know of.

On a positive note there is a new dog rescue in Patagonia taking up the slack because the Nogales HS is so dismal. But you see stray cats all over Patagonia. We got a dog adopted out with her 8 puppies because the man emailed every rescue in AZ and we were the only rescue to respond. (were TNR cat rescue!) He was in a wheel chair and ended up in the hospital and couldn't take care of the German shepherd mother and puppies he had rescued.

Glad to meet someone who was proactive for cats that was once in this area. You know how bad it is, with the cultural views so close to the border. That is why a good vet around here is so important. There are a few practicing in the area. Thank goodness!

Oh yes, I have been to the Chihuahua State Park and hiked there! Stunningly beautiful Mountains! My son and I saw our first wild coatamundi there!

Another positive note. I did adopt out to a couple from Sierra Vista a cat 6 months ago. They saw Squeek on Petfinder and drove all the way over to GV to adopt her!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #42 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Hello Mitts,

Ive been to Bisbee but it breaks my heart because I see so many stray cats and dogs running free all over town. The whole area of Bisbee and Tomestone do not have a decent rescue or TNR that I know of.

Agreed. There are too many strays everywhere, I am afraid. Here in northern Arkansas it is just as bad. I've never seen so many dead cats by the side of the road in my life.

It is why we do what we can, right?

Thank you for the great picture of Fairbank! I remember all the ghost stories I heard about that area, and Bruncknow Cabin. I used to really freak out my little nieces and nephews!

It has been great meeting you, too. It's nice to know that others are in the fight, huh?
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
Kitten

I'm so SO sorry to hear what poor Jaws went through - that WAS unforgivable!!!! And cats getting PREGNANT after being spayed.....the mind just boggles: WHAT did the vet remove?

In the past I've had some lovely vets but the one we have in Alnwick is very expensive, the nice vet left and was replaced by a female who didn't seem to have any bond with cats and I HATE the attitude of the receptionist. The last time I was there (getting worming treatments as Suzi came to us with a tapeworm!) she took Suzi's details (and George's as he hadn't been seen by them as he's been healthy since we got him) and just the way she said ''What about Misty?'' to which I informed her she had passed away in August. She then asked about Thomas...and Nina...and Lily.....and just the way she SAID it made it sound like I was one of those awful people who collects animals and then gets rid of them when she's 'bored' with them!!! I felt really annoyed as the waiting rom had a few people in it so I made sure I told her clearly that I FOSTERED the old cats for PARRT and the ones who have health issues and they stayed with me until they passed away! I think she got the gist of what I was saying Stupid girl!

We hope to move to a house with a garden later this year so I'll be on the lookout for a GOOD vet who understand cats and don't treat them, as folk up here in Alnwick do, as 'just' mice-controllers! Up here it's all dogs and horses

Last edited by marie73; 05-28-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #44 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillykat View Post
I'm so SO sorry to hear what poor Jaws went through - that WAS unforgivable!!!! And cats getting PREGNANT after being spayed.....the mind just boggles: WHAT did the vet remove?
I admit to having been quite shaken by parts of this thread - as you say what happened to Jaws was horrendous and I think it should be actionable but I was even more stunned by the pregnancy one. If the vet charged for carrying out what must be one of the most common operations in a small animals practice and failed to do it then there is no justification for having charged someone for it (and no doubt all the anaesthetic etc. that was used). I would certainly name and shame. Isn't there a governing body for vets that could be contacted? It's outrageous!

I'm counting my lucky stars that my experiences have been so different.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #45 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

The vet who did (failed to do) the spaying had been my mom's vet for several years - never any serious previous issues with her pets or ours. However, he was actually picketed on several occasions by outraged pet owners whose pets died ( I remember specifically talking to a young professional fellow who lost his dog).

I am sad to say to say that because we never had any incidents ourselves, we really did not believe there was any problem with him. I believed the man I spoke to honestly felt the vet was at fault, but I assumed it was just poor luck.

Even after the cats became pregnant, we assumed it was some sort of awful, but probably explainable foul up, not carelessness. That changed when the vet denied responsibility and offered euthanization as an option.

My mom did try to follow up at the time with a complaint (she'd taken the cats). But she was told there were no malpractice laws for vets, and because the cats had not died it was 95% unlikely that the incident would even be investigated.

Unfortunately, the longer you deal with pets, the more likelihood you have to run into this sort of thing. Neutering incidents are not that uncommon. I'm sure most people have heard about the dog who went in to get spayed, and the vet tied off her kidneys.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #46 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thank you, Gillykat.

I think it is much easier to find a good dog or horse vet, than it is for cats. Just my own experience.

As far as that receptionist, don't you think she just might have been projecting her own attitude towards cats onto you? I've met a lot of people who view cats as throw-away objects. Of course, you never know what someone is thinking. But in an area where people really aren't into cats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread