Sick kitty, but no clear answers - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Unhappy Sick kitty, but no clear answers

I apologize in advance if I write too much, sometimes I get too detailed. I have a 5 year old kitty, whose health has been steadily declining these past months. I first took her to the vet in August, when I noticed she was not eating as much, losing weight and started discharging. She was given blood tests, x-rays, an ultrasound, and a urinalysis. Results showed a fever and high white blood count. The vet determined she had UTI and prescribed her Clavamox.

After a week & Ĺ (?), the symptoms did not go away, so the vet prescribed her more (enough for 2 more weeks). The discharge stopped, but she was still losing weight. During this time, she was refusing cat food and was begging for people food, something she never did before, (wouldnít touch it, even if it was offered). We even switched to a high grade cat food, which she snubbed after a few cans. On the last day of administering the medicine, she started throwing up white foam. This lasted periodically over three days. So, she went back to the vet for more blood work. The fever was gone and WBC was normal, but her weight was at 8.10 (9.0 at the last visit).The vet then put her on a special diet thinking she may be constipated.

The diet did not work (kitty lost interest in the food after 2 weeks), but started eating her regular food again. By now, she is anorexic, lethargic, depressed, and hiding. I also noticed her losing fur on the back of both ears. I take her back to the vet 2 more times. Extensive blood work, high grade x-rays, FELV/FIV test, fecal exam. All negative, which is a relief. The x-ray showed no tumors, but thickened intestines and she has a high WBC again. The vet said it could be one of 3 things: pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, or gastrointestinal cancer. So, she gave her a pancreatic screen and a fungal culture for ringworm.

A week later the vet called and said it is not her pancreas. I have one of two options, take a chance and treat her symptomatically for IBD, or put her under for a biopsy of her stomach and intestines. I am sick about this! I love my baby and want to do whatever I can to get her better, but I do not want her cut open and put through any more stress if I can help it. I told the vet that I wanted to try the medicine first, and see if it works. She did not seem happy with my decision, but prescribed my Prednisolone.

When I went to pick up the prescription, the vet was disinterested and did not offer me any information about the medicine. I havenít started her on it yet, because I read online that you should not give it to a cat with a fungal infection. At the time, the culture wasnít ready. When they didnít call, I called myself. I was told nothing showed up, but they wanted to wait a few more days and that they would call me. By the time they did, it had been 3 weeks for what was supposed to be a 10 day test. The receptionist spoke with my mother and was very rude to her. She was told it was not ringworm, but did not offer any other possible causes.

Has anyone else ever been through this? Kitty is at 7.5 lbs. It is hard to tell if she is vomiting or has diarrhea because I also have an elderly cat. It only happens sometimes, but I never see who does it. Usually when I do, it is the older one, though sometimes my sick kitty makes a little hiccup like she wants to. We switched her food bowl from plastic to ceramic, because the plastic discolored. Could she have gotten allergies or infected by that? And what about the hair loss? Her ears are now turning scaly and appear to be darkening in spots (she is a black cat, so I canít say for sure). I have no idea how she could have picked it up, since she is strictly an indoor cat. I am so worried! But I am also afraid to start her on the medication because I know nothing about it. Some recommend that I get a second opinion, but I donít know how to handle going through all this again.
Ms. N is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Cat Addict
Arianwen's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 3,471
Is there another vet locally that you could go to? What you have written doesn't fill me with confidence - this is not the way a supportive practice behaves - you and your kitty deserve better.
Arianwen is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
My sister suggested a vet that received very positive reviews. Supposed to very understanding and honest. The problem is they are 40 minutes away, and kitty already hates the 8 minute drive to her current vet. I want the best care for her, though, so I am considering it. I am just not sure how to go about switching after all the visits we've had so far.
Ms. N is offline  
Sponsored Links
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Cat Addict
Arianwen's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Wales, UK
Posts: 3,471
My vet does house calls if necessary. Might that be a possibility?
Arianwen is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 20,579
I would not go to another local vet, I would find a vet school clinic...they have the latest knowledge, technology and tons of specialists at their beck and call. Even if it's hours away, it's worth the time and effort for a consultation. When the local vets are stumped and saying "try this or that" it's time to go for the big guns.

As for switching vets...make the appt at the new place and request copies of all your records from the old vet. You can probably have the new vet make the request for you before the appointment.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
doodlebug is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Senior Cat
anie's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: LR, AR
Posts: 599
I would go for the second vet. How your vet acts is not very professional and supporting. And after all, health of your cat is most important here and they are not coming with the diagnosis.

As for changing vets - you can go to your vet and request copies of all the medical records for your cat. It's perfectly fine to ask for second opinion and they should not give you any troubles about that. if they do, it's something wrong with them. as someone else suggested here, you can also ask the new vet that he/she requests medical records of your cat from the old vet. and it would be wise to do it before your first appointment with new vet, so you do not have to go twice, before and after obtaining the records.

also, if your cat takes long car drives not so well, just call the new vet first and talk about the situation. having medical records in hand and since many tests have already been done the new vet could probably suggest what has to be done next and be prepared for your visit, so you dont have to take your cat there too many times.

good luck and keep us informed. i am so sorry your cat is sick.
anie is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Thank you all for your recommendations...I will be sure to keep everyone informed. I am going to do some research into possible options, but plan on making a decision soon. I just want to do what is best for my kitty. It is touch and go every day, today is not a good one.
Ms. N is offline  
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome