Need Help asap Cat Urinating on Carpet...I am going nuts. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Default Need Help asap Cat Urinating on Carpet...I am going nuts.

Hello,

I am going nuts trying to figure out why my cat has started urinating and sometimes deficating on the carpet.

Cat: 2 year old Orienatal, Neturted Male. (I also have another male netured cat, 1 year old... There are no fights or issues going on with their relationship.)

Background: My kitty started doing this about 1 month ago. He ONLY goes to the bathroom 1 (once) a day on the carpet.

99% of the time he just pees in the same spot.... the other 1% of the time he urintes and deficats.

This all happens in the same location in my den, to the side of my fire place.

He pees sitting down, so he is NOT spraying.

I took him to the vet for a medical check. They said he had a VERY mild UTI, no crystals. We did a round of Clavimoux.

What I have tried thus far:

-Feliway plug in diffuser

-Feliway spray on the carpet

-Added another style of litter box in another location (can't put it in the Den! Where he is peeing)

-Natura's Miricle and serveral other products

-Shampooing carpet

-Changing Litters

There have been no stressful event going on in my home other than:

-Feeding another friends cat at their home.
-Painted Den and hallway in mid Nov. (cats are used to me painting)

The only other odd thing that happened was that my 1 year old kitty had to have leg surgery.
So before the surgery, their litter box was in an enclosed space in my garage. The litter box is a Cat Genie (automatic box hooked into house plumbing), which both cats have used for 9 months with no problems.

Since my 1 year old kitty could not go up and down the stairs into their garage enclosed litter box, I had to put a "normal" box into the laundry rm. Time period of the moved litter box was Oct. 24 to Nov. 24.

Nov. 24th, I moved the "normal" litter box out to the Garage and put it beside their "old" automatic box. I left the normal box beside the automatic box for 3 days. I then took away the "normal" litter box so that they only had their "old" automatic litter box to use.

2 weeks later, the 2 year old cat started peeing on the carpet.

I can't figure this out! It makes no sense to me.

1. If the issue was a UTI, then he would have used the carpet to pee on 100% of the time, not just 1 time a day.
pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

I can't figure this out! It makes no sense to me.

1. If the issue was a UTI, then he would have used the carpet to pee on 100% of the time, not just 1 time a day. Plus, I treated him for the UTI and 2 weeks after he was done with meds, he is still peeing once a day on the carpet.

2. If he did not like going back to his old litter box, in its old location, why would he still use that box and pee on the carpet only once a day.

3. If he were mad at me, would he not pee on something personal of mine? I don't use my den... except to walk through.

Both cats get a ton of attention, the best food, top med care, tons of toys and play time. It is crazy. I don't understand what I am doing wrong or what he is trying to communicate with me.

As of now, I have to keep a tarp on the floor...... I have cleaned the carpet so many times... With pet odor products and urine neutralizers.

Thank you
pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Yes it is odd. Make sure the UTI is really over.

I would suggest using Cat Attract for now in your cat box. Keep using the feliway plugs ins. Make sure one of the Feliway plug ins is by the box filled with Cat Attract litter he uses

Also thoroughly saturate the area he continues to use with Natures Miracle. Put a dry towel on saturated area and stomp on it to try to bring up all urine from the carpet and carpet pad. Do several times if you feel it would guarantee getting all the enzymes up.

See if this helps. Fingers crossed!

~Merry~

With my eyes, they will be seen...With my voice, they will be heard....
With my hands, they will know comfort...With my action, they will be free...
~TNR and Rescue changes lives of animals.~

When the angels are busy God sends rescuers
Mitts & Tess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement