How long does canned food last in the fridge? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Default How long does canned food last in the fridge?

How long does canned food last in the fridge?
I almost exclusively fed my previous cat kibble (hey, didn't know any better). I'm trying to get prepared for my new kitty and plant to feed canned (I may eventually try to add in raw, but it's not realistic right now).
Anyhow, I saw that some brands (specifically Wellness) sells 12.5 oz cans, which is cheaper overall than the smaller cans. Obviously, my ONE cat isn't going to eat that in one day so I'd have to store it in the fridge. Will it be okay for a day or two in the fridge?

Thanks.
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tom Cat

absolutely!
on a can it is even written that after opening can food should be stored in the fridge. i have stored cat food in the fridge up to 48 hours after opening. i always warm it up before serving, usually take it out to room temp hour or so before feeding and also add a bit of hot water to it just before serving.

I have tupperware airtight little box that i store cat food in (in the fridge, after opening, just don't like the idea of food sitting in open metal tin, i do the same for our human food )
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Tom Cat

I store my cat's wet food in the fridge and they go through about a can every week (I feed them half wet (Innova) and half dry (Taste of the Wild). The food keeps for the whole week. I just put aluminum foil over the top but there are "can savers" you can buy which are much better and keep the food a lot fresher. The link below is for some. I am sure you can find them at any store.

Amazon.com: Petmate Kitty-Kap Can Cover: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Petmate Kitty-Kap Can Cover: Pet Supplies
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
absolutely!
i always warm it up before serving, usually take it out to room temp hour or so before feeding and also add a bit of hot water to it just before serving.
My cats just eat it cold. Is it suggested to warm it up? They haven't had a problem, so far. They eat it right up.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the quick responses!
Pursestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
My cats just eat it cold. Is it suggested to warm it up? They haven't had a problem, so far. They eat it right up.
Heating it up probably makes it taste/smell better. I do know it makes it smell stronger.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrawritsjordi View Post
then you are one lucky cat owner!
my cats are picky and warming up makes the food smell more intense, so they eat it with less fuss. also, some of canned food gets kind of dense when cold (i.e. wellness) and i noticed that my cats eat better if it is more "soupy" and hot water helps here.

anyway, no, if your cats eat ok cold, it's perfectly fine
anie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Premier Cat

I warm it up using the defrost cycle for a few seconds. I keep it in the fridge just like I would keep any other meat product - up to 3 or 4 days. Probably would keep longer, but with 6 mouths to feed twice + a day, it doesn't hang around here long!
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by anie View Post
then you are one lucky cat owner!
my cats are picky and warming up makes the food smell more intense, so they eat it with less fuss. also, some of canned food gets kind of dense when cold (i.e. wellness) and i noticed that my cats eat better if it is more "soupy" and hot water helps here.

anyway, no, if your cats eat ok cold, it's perfectly fine
My cats don't mind the denseness. In fact, my one year old would swallow it whole if I didn't cut it up for her into little pieces. Innova gets denser as well.

thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cat

I usually only leaved canned food in the fridge for 24 hours. Before I feed the refridgerated food, I leave it out because they won't eat it cold.OTOH they don't like the microwaved food.
gharrissc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement