The Smell of Cat Urine - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default The Smell of Cat Urine

Having 4 cats in a medium sized 2 bedroom apartment, we are always very cognizant of how the apartment smells and the amount of tumbleweeds rolling around, and how much pet dander is accumulating in the air. Both my daughters and I have allergies so we have a very tangible motivator in order to keep things as clean as possible. Through trial and error, we have discovered that scooping 2x/day is the magic formula for keeping bad smells at bay. After a couple of years of this routine, it is now a daily ritual my oldest daughter and I take part in.

So, yesterday my daughters and I decided to go out for a fun day of quality time together. We took the public bus towards our first destination, and after a minute or so of sitting down, I detected a noticeable cat urine odor. I knew that this smell was coming off of someone's clothing, and thought about how sad it was that people let things get so out of control and how bad their house must smell if it's permeated into their clothing so strongly.

We then ended up eating at a restaurant and were seated towards the back and near the kitchen. After a few minutes, there was some more cat urine smell again, but this time, it was REALLY strong. I began thinking that since we were seated by the crab tanks that maybe they kept cats in the back that wandered into the dining room and peed on the carpet. Gross, I know, but what else could it be? It was so bad it was literally killing our appetites. The food looked good, but it now was marred with that ammonia odor.

There was a large family eating next to us, and as one of them got up to go to the restroom, my daughter said "Mom, I think it's those people." I could not believe it. The smell was so strong and they were at least 6-9 feet away. It just couldn't be. About a half hour later, they got up and left. Surprisingly enough, about 5 minutes later, the smell was entirely gone. It WAS that family that was carrying that horrible odor with them. Again, it made me think if their clothes smell like that, imagine what the house must smell like...ewww!

I am not passing judgment. I just really think it's so sad when people take on animals and don't care for them properly. In most situations, it's either the cat is ill and not treated for urinary problems, the litterboxes are not maintained regularly, the cats are allowed to remain intact and spray, or someone takes on too many animals; way more than they can realistically care for. Any one of those situations is entirely preventable and sad if allowed to go on indefinitely. On the flip side, it makes me proud that when people come to visit, unless they actually see the cats, they would never even know that they lived in my house. It's a good feeling to recognize that yes, you have your fair share of animals, but that they are loved, pampered, and cared for in a manner that is good for them and for you.

dweamgoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Wow, I can't imagine how bad the situation must be for people to smell like cat urine! I've had people tell me that cat people don't smell the urine in their houses because they're so used to it, but when they come over, they're surprised to find that there is no smell. I think part of it is whether or not you use clumping litter. I had a friend who changed the litter once a week but only scooped poop. It smelled awful.
spirite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Oh brother, that would be AWFUL! There is nothing worse than cat urine smell. Years ago one of our old cats started to urinate on the LR carpet. It was terrible. I bought some SCOE10 (Super Concentrate Odor Eater), a carpet injector and that killed the smell (available online). I figured out that she didn't like the automatic spray aerosol air freshener I had installed in the laundry room where the litter boxes are. Got rid of that thing FAST (the air freshener, not the cat!).
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Was it the same people on the bus with you?

While we're on the subject of the smell of cat odour, does anyone know the best way to get rid of the smell off an old wax jacket. I took it off while mucking out my horse on a mild day last week and one of the farm cats decided to mark it. The coat is ancient and way less than fashionable but so good for a lot of my outdoor work so I don't want to bin it but what I've tried so far has been only semi-effective and like the OP it is not a favourite smell!!!!!
Arianwen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

We have a customer that comes in and smells god awful like cat urine. He is a bigger man and it really is sad. He clears every aisle he passes. I used to use clumping litter and with 3 cats in a one bedroom apartment I too am always cognizant of how my place smells. The litter boxes used to be in my bedroom but I moved them to my living room as I was tired of the cat litter in my bed and it wasn't really the poop that smelled bad, but the urine smell. I switched to wood pellet litter and the urine odor has completely been taken out of the equation! Also, it's so cheap, and I can just flush the poop which cuts down on poop bag costs! I love it! I also bought a scented wax warmer that keeps my whole place smelling like citrus! People are always surprised that my place doesn't smell like cat urine.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Those irresponsible people are the kind I hate that ruin it for the rest of us responsible pet owners.... Those are the ones who made almost every apt complex rule NO PETS.... And the reason we pay a "pet fee" or pet deposit.... It literally drives me insane that people can live in a pig pit in their own home and so every person who rents out to other people thinks that all people with pets are like that.... There should be some kind of TEST you have to pass to even have a pet in a place you don't own....

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianwen View Post
Was it the same people on the bus with you?
Sadly no, they were 2 different families in 2 different places...what are the odds, huh?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
Those irresponsible people are the kind I hate that ruin it for the rest of us responsible pet owners....
I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate people like this or that, but yes, I do see your point that this type of carelessness towards your animals' well-being and lack of cleanliness of your home does ruin it for the rest of us renters who do the right thing, but isn't that the case with everything? There are always a "special" few that mess it up for the rest of us. I still think it's really sad when it used to be someone that was well meaning, but the situation just got out of control and they just gave up.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Cat

When your an avid renter the pet laws get annoying.... The people that lived in our apt before us never cleaned up after their dog and the sad part is I could tell.... Even after they shampooed the carpets. Needless to say i made them do it two more times before we were satisfied... Not taking care of a pet you obviously wanted at one point is straight unacceptable and it drives me crazy. Especially how most places won't let you have a dog over thirty pounds which is completely stupid because the little dogs are just as likely to chew things up as much as the bigger ones! I don't want a purse dog I want a big dog so that I feel more secure when my hubby is gone. People scare me and I'm always worried about being alone with no defense. When I used to live by myself I lived in the bottom of an older house and my door to the outside of my apt was basically just like an inside door. Thin wood. Like I could have easily kicked through it if I wanted to.... One night at like 11pm this scary guy came to my door and knocked. I had no idea who he was so obviously I didn't open it... He finally after like ten minutes left thank god. And I heard on the radio the next morning that some girl was raped that night in my area.... I've been paranoid ever since... My husband is trying to pawn a handgun on me and really i wouldnt ever want to kill someone even if they were trying to hurt me... That just doesnt sit with me well.. .. So the fact that EVERY apartment complex I've lived in doesn't allow big dogs really angers me. I've only ever seen ONE that does and I've looked at A LOT of rentals.

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Another thing I do not understand is how can they not smell the cat pee on them??? Or on anything! I feel like I can smell that stuff a mile a away and once I smell it I can't get it out of my nose.... You know what I mean?? Like that is a STRONG smell.... Can't stand it. Smells worse than goats!!

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement