I'm so sorry that happened. I know you are hurting
just as much as your kitty. I'm also sorry to hear that
the break is refusing to join. That is not good news.
I would like to ask if your kitty is inside during this
period of casting and recuperation, or is he going on
about his business outside? I agree with the poster
who suggested getting a bit more insistent about him
moving to an inside life.
Personally, having had the failure to unite in the break
already, I'd opt for amputation. Most cat breaks heal
swiftly and easily, or so it has been in my experience.
My vet told me the line in vet school was that if you
put to ends of a cat bone in the same room, they'd
find each other and heal up before you missed them.
As this has already been given a fair chance and didn't
happen, I'd personally skip the expense, the stress of
transport, and the stress of immobilization again and
have it taken off. I have known many amputees, one
of whom was 17 years old at the time of amputation,
who have all done very, very well. It was a little
confusing for them at first, but outside of washing that
side of the face, there should not be anything he could
not do, and probably within 2 weeks' time. That includes
climbing trees and leaping on counters, BTW
My heart goes out to you and the kitty. Please let
us know what you decide and how he progresses?