Question on Feeding - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Second doodlebugs statement. There's a lot of healthy grain free foods out there that I'm sure he would like but would be a lot better for him we can pretty much all steer you the right way here if you ask

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
we can pretty much all steer you the right way here if you ask
I'm asking.

I put down some dry food and when he finishes it, I give him more. I don't leave any out all night like I used to. I was told by vet that he should get all he wants for the first year. He'll be 1 year old about March 9.

We don't know his true birthdate, but from all sources he was born sometime in March. We adopted him on 10/9 so I picked 3/9 for his birthdate.

My husband wants him to get what he likes. He was the same with our kids. Guess I'll have to reclaim my motto "I'm the Mom - that's why!"
rdswan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Cat

My guys get 1/4 cup dry in the morning and about 3 oz of wet in the evening. Once a week I substitute the wet for a raw patty and they get that for their evening meal. That is how I feed my 12lb cats.

My 8 lb female gets 1/8cup dry and about 2 oz wet. She also will get one raw patty once a week. I use stella and chewy raw one bag lasts about 2 months for 3 cats and one dog, pretty economical and they all LOVE the raw stuff.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premier Cat

Whiskas Cat Milk is located in the cat food section of the grocery store where I shop if interested. Two of my cats LOVE it and 4 won't touch it. Don't buy alot unless you know they will drink it. I used to give the 2 milk drinkers a little fat free milk in a saucer but Missy usually would puke it up. No issues with the Whiskas.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdswan14 View Post
I'm asking.

I put down some dry food and when he finishes it, I give him more. I don't leave any out all night like I used to. I was told by vet that he should get all he wants for the first year. He'll be 1 year old about March 9.
Well since your asking here's a pretty good list I've made and kept.... These are all dry foods but most of these brands I think have good quality wet food too. However for wet food I recommend Evo, Soulistic, Weruva, Natures Variety, and Wellness or Wellness Core.... All these prices you see are relative and are what I've seen so they may vary slightly with sales etc. I personally feed wet food brands of Evo, Soulistic, Weruva, and Natures Variety.... Evo and Soulistic canned are a good price and the cheapest GOOD cans I've seen. Wellness bought in big 12oz cans is right behind them. I feed 3 oz of canned in the morning and 1/4 cup or slightly less of Honest Kitchen Prowl at night... I leave just a little bit of Taste of the Wild kibble out during the day while I'm at work because Skeeter is still a kitten. Look into Honest Kitchen Prowl and Grace too. It's a dehydrated raw food and its comparable in price per volume to kibble but obviously way healthier because its like making your own wet food without the expensive price tag on cans... Hope this helps

Dry Foods (All grain free)
Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain 15lbs: $30.99
Acana Grasslands 15lbs: $43.99
Orejin Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $51.99
Blue Wilderness 12lbs: $35.99
Wellness Core Turkey 12lbs: $40.99
EVO Cat & Kitten 15lbs: $44.99
Felidae pureELEMENTS 15lbs: $37.99
Halo GRAIN FREE 6lbs: $23.99 <Insane... Doesnt come in a bigger bag
Go Natural Grain Free 16lbs: $54.99
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free 11lbs: $35.99
Before Grain Chicken 11lbs: $25.99
Natural Balance ALPHA 10lbs: $31.99
NOW Grain Free 16lbs: $59.99
Natures Variety Chicken 12lbs: $32.99
Natures Variety Rawboost 11lbs: $41.99 <Insane....
California Natural Grain Free 15lbs: $38.99
Solid Gold Indigo Moon 15lbs: $38.99
Earthborn Holistics Grain Free 14lbs: $29.99
TimberWolf Organics Serengeti 12lbs: $30.96

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premier Cat

And that Whiskas Cat Milk is nasty stuff. It's just a marketing ploy.

Ingredients: Milk, Water, Nonfat Dry Milk, Malt Extract, Trisodium Phosphate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Guar Gum, Taurine, Carrageenan, Monoglycerides and Diglycerides, Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Citrate. Whiskas® Catmilk | Cat Snacks | Snacks For Cats

Again, cats don't need any kind of milk once they are weaned from their mother's milk.

Last edited by marie73; 01-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.
hoofmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement