Ear mites? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cat Addict

Default Ear mites?

When I brought the two outdoor semi feral cats I adopted to the vet they said they didn't have ear mites. Every now and then I see them shake their heads. I don't see any ear scratching. I just don't want a problem.
cat owner again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Cat

Um I don't know a whole lot about ear mites but I have dealt with them once or twice. Unless someone else knows more I wouldn't start worrying unless they scratch their ears a lot. And if your that worried you can always just treat them. I'm sure it would just clean out the ears anyway right? I always had success with simple treatments from petco.. Or a local store. Not sure if retail ear mite medicines are dangerous like some cheap flea meds or not but I'm sure someone on here will tell you...

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Godzilla & Mr. Skeeter
Zilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jr. Cat

I have been dealing with ear nites for the last six weeks, Dolly had a really svere case ( probably because of the conditions where she was born) she was crying when scratching her ears. We have had ear drops from the vetsa 2 drops in each ear twice a day for 4 weeks and also the vet has cleaned her ears several times (the discharge was unbelievable) and she has had a flea/worm/mite solution on her skin 4 times up to now. Apparently if the cat has ear mites they produce a dark discharge in their ears, also I learnt that the mites burry deep down into the ear canal so it is not always possible to see alive mites under the microscope after treatment. Fingers crossed Dolly gets the all clear on monday.
dollysmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How often is "every now and then"? If it's not happening multiple times a day, then it's likely to just be random.

And their companion, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May & Maggie forever in my heart.
doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Cat

I'm not sure if my kitten had ear mites when I got him at 10 weeks, but he was born on a farm so got a full bath and grooming treatment when I took him into my place. I bought the ear mite treatment right away as he had really hard/black/dried crust in both ears, which is the signature of ear mites, dried blood. He never scratched his ears and was a happy kitten…until I started treating his ears.

When I would clean them, he would scratch like it itched and for 10-30 minutes after. I can imagine they hurt as he would scream when I was removing the gunk from his ears. I felt really bad, but it had to be done, my sister who is a vet tech says it sounds like he had mites and sometimes if they are used to them, they won't scratch their ears. It took about 2 weeks of me treating his ears every other day before they started to look better. Now his ears are perfectly pink and crust free! It worked perfectly.
3gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement