"Slightly positive" for feline leukemia - Page 2 - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
CatForum.com is the premier Cat Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tom Cat

Yes to every thing you mentioned in your posts. He tried, but couldn't eat. Threw up what little liquid he could get down. We brought him in immediately. X-rays showed a mass. Ultra sound showed lumps. Blood work was nuts. He had FeLV for at least two years. Don't know exactly when/how he got it or how long he had it as he was a stray. He was 5-8 years old.

Vet recommended put down. Couldn't do it. Took him to another vet who gave us some hope that the mass could be removed surgically. During the surgery discovered many, many more cancer masses, far too many to removed. I had to accept that we had done all we could do and thus his life was ended. I'm crying as I type this. It still hurts a lot.

It's the worst part of being a caretaker. Try to keep a clear head and remember that you are trying to do what's best for Ellie. There are options up to a point. Some of them can be very expensive and may not have much expectation for success. Again, peace to you and Ellie.
lyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Kitten

Feeling better Ellie was taken to the ER Vets and they are keeping her overnight to give her fluids and stuff! At least she will get stronger! Not in the clear yet they are going to do testing so we may hear different tonight! Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers
AshleyB723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
Yes to every thing you mentioned in your posts. He tried, but couldn't eat. Threw up what little liquid he could get down. We brought him in immediately. X-rays showed a mass. Ultra sound showed lumps. Blood work was nuts. He had FeLV for at least two years. Don't know exactly when/how he got it or how long he had it as he was a stray. He was 5-8 years old.

Vet recommended put down. Couldn't do it. Took him to another vet who gave us some hope that the mass could be removed surgically. During the surgery discovered many, many more cancer masses, far too many to removed. I had to accept that we had done all we could do and thus his life was ended. I'm crying as I type this. It still hurts a lot.

It's the worst part of being a caretaker. Try to keep a clear head and remember that you are trying to do what's best for Ellie. There are options up to a point. Some of them can be very expensive and may not have much expectation for success. Again, peace to you and Ellie.
I'm sorry for your loss! It's not easy and I send good thought to you! Thank you for the information. Right now Ellie is at the vets getting fluid we have yet to hear back from the vet about her mass. Hoping we have good news.

Also thanks for the peace to us and Ellie Bear! She is the sweetest kitty ever.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cat Addict

I really hope this works out for you both.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kitten

Such sad news Ellie was taken from this earth on Saturday night. She wasn't eating and all and would walk around and would sit and just stare into the air. She seemed to be in pain, she didn't close her eyes to nap at all that day and my sister decided it was time to let Ellie go.

Thank you all for your advice and help during this difficult time. It's awful when you lose a pet and I hope to see Ellie again.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cat Addict

You will see her again - but at the right time.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement